Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

76Asylum Title track released - Page 4 Empty Re: Asylum Title track released Thu 22 Jul 2010, 17:34

bassman47

bassman47
Stricken
GuiltyPleasures wrote:
Remiel wrote:No offense to you guys, but Disturbed has disappointed me again. I don't like Another Way to Die or Asylum. It's like they're not even trying. I'm not buying this album.

[edit] Alright, I may learn to like this song if I listen to it enough, but I'm still disappointed in Disturbed's "new direction" and I'm not buying the album. You all might not hear what I hear but I say Disturbed have been repeating themselves since Indestructible. Compare the riff in Sacred Lie to the one in The Curse. I've been hearing them all over their songs since I found that one, especially in Asylum. It sounds like a huge rip off of Indestructible, the riffs are basically the same, but with less chords between palm mutes.

And if you feel the need to bitch me out, read my signature and shut up. I have an opinion too.

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, and you expressed it well.

If you feel that the whole album is going to blow, then don't buy it. It's your choice and your money.

I have a completely different opinion, which, I, too, am entitled to have. I like AWtD-- is it the best song Disturbed could have released as the first single? In my opinion, no. I think it was released when it was because of the BP oil spill fiasco. And I hate the lyric video for the song. Just give me the official video and get it over with!

Having said that, I really dig Asylum. As promised, the theme is dark, shows the singer/narrator in a vulnerable position (being depressed about the loss of his great love), and basically kicks ass. I don't really see your point about the riffs, because it's not as obvious to me (about Disturbed) as it is with other bands.

Sometimes I can tell a band just by the music, before I even hear the singer. I can do that with Disturbed, too, but sometimes I do have to wait for David to start singing before I'm sure (especially with new songs). But since I don't listen to the radio that much, when I hear music now, it's usually via digital downloads or on Pandora.

Just based on the two singles released thus far, personally I don't think you can fairly judge the entire album, or the band's so called "new direction". Even David himself refused to say that it was their best, or their darkest, or their (fill in the blank). He likened it to the film Gladiator, but that was solely based on the themes that were to be contained on the album, not to the music itself (that's my take on it at any rate).

Are we going to absolutely LOVE everything Disturbed does? Depends on who you are, I suppose. For me, there are songs that I like more than others; there are songs that speak to me on a personal/emotional level more than others; and there are songs that I'll listen to, but they just don't reach out and grab me at that particular time. Have I been disappointed in the product that Disturbed puts out? Not yet, and I don't anticipate being disappointed this time, either.

I said all that to say this: you are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine. If anyone gives you flak about it, just consider where it came from and forget it. We're all not going to agree on everything Disturbed all the time. And that's okay, because it doesn't make you any less a fan than if you did unconditionally love everything they put out. It would be pretty dull if we were all alike in that regard.

And that's my $ .02US...

(thats a long quote)

Thank you GP, for summing up everything i wanted to say without me having to speak

77Asylum Title track released - Page 4 Empty Re: Asylum Title track released Fri 23 Jul 2010, 15:23

jpmatrixfan88

jpmatrixfan88
Stupified
Remiel wrote:No offense to you guys, but Disturbed has disappointed me again. I don't like Another Way to Die or Asylum. It's like they're not even trying. I'm not buying this album.

[edit] Alright, I may learn to like this song if I listen to it enough, but I'm still disappointed in Disturbed's "new direction" and I'm not buying the album. You all might not hear what I hear but I say Disturbed have been repeating themselves since Indestructible. Compare the riff in Sacred Lie to the one in The Curse. I've been hearing them all over their songs since I found that one, especially in Asylum. It sounds like a huge rip off of Indestructible, the riffs are basically the same, but with less chords between palm mutes.

And if you feel the need to bitch me out, read my signature and shut up. I have an opinion too.

Sorry but you're an idiot. Not one part of Asylum sounds like Indestructible. Not hearing it at all.

No one cares what you have to say. Asylum is easily one of the best songs they've put out in quite some time. Especially the bridge, it's heavy enough to be up there with The Sickness material. Great vocals, excellent guitar riffs, especially the pre-chorus riff. Also, sometimes it takes time to grow on new music. I wasn't huge on half of the songs on Indestructible, but they grew on me and I like them all.

Another Way To Die, I could agree with. But not Asylum. And you're not only in the minority, but the VAST minority, so we could care less what you think. Don't like it? That's your opinion and you are entitled to it, so GTFO.

78Asylum Title track released - Page 4 Empty Re: Asylum Title track released Fri 23 Jul 2010, 15:38

Nakho

Nakho
Loading The Weapon
Asylum its ok...but nothing more. nothing original...and the chorus is very similar to indestructible.
we all are fans of the band...but some of us have the perspective to see the real evolution of the band and others just love everything that disturbed come out...no matter what.
The band can record a shitty song...and its ok.

79Asylum Title track released - Page 4 Empty Re: Asylum Title track released Fri 23 Jul 2010, 19:33

GuiltyPleasures

GuiltyPleasures
Global Moderator
Okay, I'm not sure how Asylum sounds like Indestructible in some spots. Indestructible is one completely different song, as is Asylum. I don't think they sounds alike in any way, shape or form. But that's just me. I don't overanalyze the music, I just listen to it. I like it. If I picked it apart like some of you seem to be doing, I probably wouldn't listen to it. If one song sounds like another, it could just be coincidence.

There are some bands/artists that have songs that sound suspiciously alike, and anyone with a good ear can pick it out. I just don't see or hear that with the Asylum/Indestructible comparison. And I have a pretty good ear, having been a musician and a listener. Some people get pleasure out of being nit-picky. I don't.

And could we please watch the name calling on the board? If you strongly disagree with someone about what they've said in this thread or any other, could you take it to a PM or email please? If it's you something you don't want your mother to read, then it doesn't belong here. Thanks! (And yes, I'm such a mom.)

Last edited by GuiltyPleasures on Fri 23 Jul 2010, 19:36; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : making corrections)

80Asylum Title track released - Page 4 Empty Re: Asylum Title track released Fri 23 Jul 2010, 19:57

Nakho

Nakho
Loading The Weapon
i think that asylum album will have a similar sound to indestructible...previous 4 albums of the band have diferent sound from each other...
and the song asylum have the same style, only in the chorus, like indestructible song.
this is ok...are good songs, but nothing special...maybe i was expecting something different or risky.
for the next album maybe they need a producer again...to change the sound.
but i still have much hope in the new album.

81Asylum Title track released - Page 4 Empty Re: Asylum Title track released Sat 24 Jul 2010, 17:36

ForeverShamed

ForeverShamed
I absolutely LOVE THIS SONG, AWTD I was not a fan of, but this song totally Kicks Ass, I can't stop listening to it..

82Asylum Title track released - Page 4 Empty Re: Asylum Title track released Thu 29 Jul 2010, 01:27

ADisturbed0ne

ADisturbed0ne
Stupified

While I do disagree with one thing said in that post, I completely agree what you said in you're signature. I DO like Asylum, AWTD was bland to me, as many people seem to think as well. But what some people fail to realize, and it's really a shame, that just because Disturbed comes out with something new, it doesn't mean you have to be in love with it.. im not generalizing or saying everyone who thought AWTD was great feels that way, but there are certain people that are practically brainwashed when it comes to things like this and seem blinded in some ways. If David recorded himself farting, they would think it was the greatest recorded fart in the world (bad example, but you know what i mean).

Disturbed does tend to come out with stuff that just seems repeated, ive noticed an IDENTICAL "rah ah ah" in the curse thats also in sacred lie i think, and the riffs in criminal and AWTD during the verses seem very similar.. I can notice similarities with Asylum and Indestructible, which makes it seem like they're going with the indestructible formula, which is nothing really new.. but who knows. I happened to really enjoy Indestructible.

But I know what I like and don't like, and don't need to say complete bullshit so i can impress everyone else. i dont believe disturbed is th3 gr3At3st b4nd in m3wz1k h1st0ry and have to love everything about them, because thats just plain ignorance. i can see these kind of things when i go on d1's forum or their youtube channel and see 11 year old kids/people that apparently dont listen to alot of music thinking AWTD was the greatest thing they ever heard. No, once again im not generalizing. Anyways, yeah. I'm sure I'll get flamed for some reason for actually stating an opinion like Remiel, but I probably wont care to look at it anyways.

83Asylum Title track released - Page 4 Empty Re: Asylum Title track released Thu 29 Jul 2010, 14:45

4everDisturbed

4everDisturbed
Inside The Fire
ADisturbed0ne wrote:

While I do disagree with one thing said in that post, I completely agree what you said in you're signature. I DO like Asylum, AWTD was bland to me, as many people seem to think as well. But what some people fail to realize, and it's really a shame, that just because Disturbed comes out with something new, it doesn't mean you have to be in love with it.. im not generalizing or saying everyone who thought AWTD was great feels that way, but there are certain people that are practically brainwashed when it comes to things like this and seem blinded in some ways. If David recorded himself farting, they would think it was the greatest recorded fart in the world (bad example, but you know what i mean).

Disturbed does tend to come out with stuff that just seems repeated, ive noticed an IDENTICAL "rah ah ah" in the curse thats also in sacred lie i think, and the riffs in criminal and AWTD during the verses seem very similar.. I can notice similarities with Asylum and Indestructible, which makes it seem like they're going with the indestructible formula, which is nothing really new.. but who knows. I happened to really enjoy Indestructible.

But I know what I like and don't like, and don't need to say complete bullshit so i can impress everyone else. i dont believe disturbed is th3 gr3At3st b4nd in m3wz1k h1st0ry and have to love everything about them, because thats just plain ignorance. i can see these kind of things when i go on d1's forum or their youtube channel and see 11 year old kids/people that apparently dont listen to alot of music thinking AWTD was the greatest thing they ever heard. No, once again im not generalizing. Anyways, yeah. I'm sure I'll get flamed for some reason for actually stating an opinion like Remiel, but I probably wont care to look at it anyways.
I personally think its sad for people to flame each other on a band forum. We're here to discuss the band and we all aren't going to feel the same way about their music.

Disturbed is one of my favorite bands. At the same time itd be just ignorant to deny that they tend to reuse parts of their music. I dont think its too much that their songs lose their identity though. Other bands have the same thing going on. i.e. dragonforce, godsmack, nickelback

84Asylum Title track released - Page 4 Empty Re: Asylum Title track released Thu 29 Jul 2010, 15:47

Bound2Fate

Bound2Fate
I think part of the problem with Disturbed is that they have their own limited influences. When I hear interviews of them talking about what other current bands they listen to, I tend to get very disappointed in their choices because they don't really listen to anything else that I would consider good. I know they are influenced by the classics, but the more contemporary bands they appreciate is very plain and generic. It's like they don't really have any competition to gain inspiration from. I feel that on this forum, I have among the most "obscure" taste on here, but most of what I listen to, I wouldn't even consider obscure. It's just not stuff that the average music listener would listen to, but the big names of the "underground" world. It's like Disturbed is in their own little bubble unaware of what else is out there. It's apparent when David says stuff like solo's are dead so we're bringing them back in TTF or that the concept album is dead. Neither of those things were ever close to dead. They just were not on the radio.

But I do like the direction of the Asylum title track. Sure, it does sound like Disturbed, but it sounds like they've pushed themselves a little bit more. But that's mainly because of the second guitar parts. This is where I think Disturbed can be much better with a second guitarist. Some of you guys are saying some songs sound like each other, etc and I can kind of hear those moments at times. I think that is expected when there is only one guitarist who has written all of their songs. Dan has his own style of playing so he may be rehashing his ideas without really trying. A second guitarist could provide an influx of new ideas and perhaps avoid as much repetition as possible.

85Asylum Title track released - Page 4 Empty Re: Asylum Title track released Thu 29 Jul 2010, 20:34

yanksandjetsfan

yanksandjetsfan
Disturbed One
Bound2Fate wrote:I think part of the problem with Disturbed is that they have their own limited influences. When I hear interviews of them talking about what other current bands they listen to, I tend to get very disappointed in their choices because they don't really listen to anything else that I would consider good. I know they are influenced by the classics, but the more contemporary bands they appreciate is very plain and generic. It's like they don't really have any competition to gain inspiration from. I feel that on this forum, I have among the most "obscure" taste on here, but most of what I listen to, I wouldn't even consider obscure. It's just not stuff that the average music listener would listen to, but the big names of the "underground" world. It's like Disturbed is in their own little bubble unaware of what else is out there. It's apparent when David says stuff like solo's are dead so we're bringing them back in TTF or that the concept album is dead. Neither of those things were ever close to dead. They just were not on the radio.

But I do like the direction of the Asylum title track. Sure, it does sound like Disturbed, but it sounds like they've pushed themselves a little bit more. But that's mainly because of the second guitar parts. This is where I think Disturbed can be much better with a second guitarist. Some of you guys are saying some songs sound like each other, etc and I can kind of hear those moments at times. I think that is expected when there is only one guitarist who has written all of their songs. Dan has his own style of playing so he may be rehashing his ideas without really trying. A second guitarist could provide an influx of new ideas and perhaps avoid as much repetition as possible.

but thats their style, you either like it or you dont. if they change too much then they will lose fans and people will say "oh they sold out". asylum sounds nothing like their other songs, the new album will be amazing. wait till the album comes out before you say they havent improved. and dans fine by himself, hes incredibly creative

86Asylum Title track released - Page 4 Empty Re: Asylum Title track released Thu 29 Jul 2010, 23:42

4everDisturbed

4everDisturbed
Inside The Fire
Bound2Fate wrote:I think part of the problem with Disturbed is that they have their own limited influences. When I hear interviews of them talking about what other current bands they listen to, I tend to get very disappointed in their choices because they don't really listen to anything else that I would consider good. I know they are influenced by the classics, but the more contemporary bands they appreciate is very plain and generic. It's like they don't really have any competition to gain inspiration from. I feel that on this forum, I have among the most "obscure" taste on here, but most of what I listen to, I wouldn't even consider obscure. It's just not stuff that the average music listener would listen to, but the big names of the "underground" world. It's like Disturbed is in their own little bubble unaware of what else is out there. It's apparent when David says stuff like solo's are dead so we're bringing them back in TTF or that the concept album is dead. Neither of those things were ever close to dead. They just were not on the radio.

this is a smart post. I see what your saying. Listening to music relative to yours can easily help you expand your sound.

87Asylum Title track released - Page 4 Empty Re: Asylum Title track released Sat 31 Jul 2010, 00:39

dstrbd

dstrbd
Disturbed One
Morbid Spawn wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Enjoy folks!

thank you MorbidySpawny, the only link that activated.

just fucking heard the song, man shit, i think it's a combination of The Sickness and Indestructible.

after i buy that speaker i'm lusting for, our neighbors are gonna kill me this time, WTF you assholes! try protesting in front of my house, i'll throw grenades at you, really.

anyways, my comment:

FAST PACED SONG, INTRO AT THE VERY BEGINING, wohoo, can't wait to listen to the other songs.

Too Bad, some guyz out there look it on the bad side, disappointing for me though.

But anyway, another masterpiece from the ultimate band of a lifetime (i wish).

Disturbed Fan Disturbed Fan Disturbed Fan Disturbed Fan Disturbed Fan Disturbed Fan Disturbed Fan Disturbed Fan Disturbed Fan Disturbed Fan Disturbed Fan Disturbed Fan Disturbed Fan Disturbed Fan Disturbed Fan

88Asylum Title track released - Page 4 Empty Re: Asylum Title track released Sun 01 Aug 2010, 13:46

ABlume

ABlume
Thanks for the very interesting, thought provoking posts in this thread.
I’m no musician myself, so I can’t really judge Dan’s overall talent as a guitarist or whether certain riffs in certain songs are basically the same.
I listen to a lot of technically brilliant bands though (Meshuggah, Opeth, Keep of Kalessin, Klone, Behemoth …) and in comparison the technical aspect of Disturbed is for sure nothing to become overly excited about.
But what does that matter?
The music of Disturbed is unique the way it is. Dan’s riffs are extremely effective and his solos always help the songs to reach a higher level. I’m not looking for technical brilliance here, but expect one of the tightest, melodically finest and vocally absolutely outstanding performances in the field of metal.

From the first 2 songs off the new album I draw the conclusion (maybe rashly) that there won’t be a big difference between Indestructible and Asylum.
The evolution of the band was very obvious from the first to the second to the third album. After TTF the direction of the band seems to be to further refine their style, rather than go new ways. I’m OK with that as long as it results in a strong album.

I’d say Asylum is easily one of the best Disturbed songs. I also like AWTD very much – seems to me like classic Disturbed (I have no problem with the lyrics). So I’m looking forward to the new album. I’m pretty sure I won’t be disappointed.

89Asylum Title track released - Page 4 Empty Re: Asylum Title track released Mon 30 Aug 2010, 14:26

Remiel

Stricken
jpmatrixfan88 wrote:

Sorry but you're an idiot. Not one part of Asylum sounds like Indestructible. Not hearing it at all.

No one cares what you have to say. Asylum is easily one of the best songs they've put out in quite some time. Especially the bridge, it's heavy enough to be up there with The Sickness material. Great vocals, excellent guitar riffs, especially the pre-chorus riff. Also, sometimes it takes time to grow on new music. I wasn't huge on half of the songs on Indestructible, but they grew on me and I like them all.

Another Way To Die, I could agree with. But not Asylum. And you're not only in the minority, but the VAST minority, so we could care less what you think. Don't like it? That's your opinion and you are entitled to it, so GTFO.

This is exactly the kind of unnecessary stupidity that was to be avoided. Thank you for being another waste of oxygen in our world of opinionated brainless dicks. Don't speak for other people. A few of them actually have a working thought process unlike yourself. Go fuck yourself.

90Asylum Title track released - Page 4 Empty Re: Asylum Title track released Mon 30 Aug 2010, 18:50

Smitk1592

Smitk1592
Down With the Sickness
haha^

91Asylum Title track released - Page 4 Empty Re: Asylum Title track released Mon 30 Aug 2010, 19:43

Kingston160

Kingston160
Believer
Remiel wrote:
jpmatrixfan88 wrote:

This is exactly the kind of unnecessary stupidity that was to be avoided. Thank you for being another waste of oxygen in our world of opinionated brainless dicks. Don't speak for other people. A few of them actually have a working thought process unlike yourself. Go fuck yourself.

i here ya some of the album sounds familiar the warrior has the sound as indestructible but still some of the stuff is new the infection serpintine and my child are only a few so if you haven't already listen to the album on youtube check it out

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

FacebookTwitterFacebookFacebook

•  

Create a forum | Music | Rock, Punk, Alternative | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com