Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Thu 17 Jun 2010, 02:04

The LEADER

The LEADER
i dont like it that much

first, the transitions just bug me: like, from the intro to the main song, to the chorus, back into the verse, and then into the bridge. very unnatural that the music literally just stops so much during the song with only the drums in the back at these parts, and i dont like it very much

second, the song is sposed to be about global warming, and i didnt know that til after i watched the lyric video. so when i watched it, i thought it was just about man destroying the world through pollution and the BP oil spill generally, not about global warming. what im trying to say is that it's too general for me. most songs pick an issue and follow through with it: inside the fire picked suicide and covered that beautifully, prayer picked conflict with god and covered that specifically, but another way to die just says shit to say shit, and it doesn't really say what it should: the message of the song is too general to mean anything other than "man is fucking the planet!" to me.

three, dave kinda seemed like he lost imagination halfway through. intro is very good and flows, first verse is the same. chorus just sucks, IMO, but after the first verse, he says "another way to die" too much, IMO, and "can we repent in time?". he says those two things 15 times the entire song, mostly out-of-chorus, and it's like he ran out of things to say so he said "hey let's just repeat the song title and this little hook over and over!"

four, i dont like the chorus, too radio rocky

five, guitar solo doesnt fit IMO and isnt very good

six, song is like a bunch of diff songs spliced into one song. slow brooding intro into a very staccato and fast moving 1st verse into a very legato and "slidy" chorus into another fast staccato verse into another slidy chorus into the slow and brooding guitar solo into a more dynamic, but still slidy chorus into an end. songs not very progressive about switches either, as i said earlier, the band literally stops playing when they switch styles. too all over the place for my taste.

seven, this just obviously wont do as well as inside the fire as a single: that song was addictive, the subject matter was edgy and relevant, and importantly, the song wasn't boring. thats one thing i feel about another way to die: its a little boring and not very progressive.

overall i love the song and its still growing on me but i dont think it's a great song, just good.

27Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Thu 17 Jun 2010, 02:27

Bound2Fate

Bound2Fate
The LEADER wrote:i dont like it that much

first, the transitions just bug me: like, from the intro to the main song, to the chorus, back into the verse, and then into the bridge. very unnatural that the music literally just stops so much during the song with only the drums in the back at these parts, and i dont like it very much

four, i dont like the chorus, too radio rocky

five, guitar solo doesnt fit IMO and isnt very good

six, song is like a bunch of diff songs spliced into one song. slow brooding intro into a very staccato and fast moving 1st verse into a very legato and "slidy" chorus into another fast staccato verse into another slidy chorus into the slow and brooding guitar solo into a more dynamic, but still slidy chorus into an end. songs not very progressive about switches either, as i said earlier, the band literally stops playing when they switch styles. too all over the place for my taste.

This is funny because basically how you feel about AWTD is how I felt/feel about Inside the Fire. I like the variety of opinions we're getting on this song though. I listened to AWTD today after not listening to it since Monday and it sounds a little better.

28Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Thu 17 Jun 2010, 03:53

Remiel

Stricken
I'm just glad there aren't a bunch of obsessed fans going, "This song rox cuz Disturbed made it Disturbed is the best band ever etc, etc..."

I admire the effort you're all putting forward in assessing the song and the different reasons you find it satisfactory or unsatisfactory. Aside from a few people with these bland replies you've all done a good job presenting your ideas and opinions. I salute you my Disturbed brothers and sisters on a job well done. Keep your thinking strong. The Guy

29Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Thu 17 Jun 2010, 16:41

AdamZeZ

AdamZeZ
Stupified
Haha. I feel sorry for all of you that don't like it. The song is simply amazing. It shows evolution in my opinion. They mix a little of that soft darkness that Believe dropped in. And then kicks up to Ten Thousand Fists speed and progression. While maintaining the thought of how screwed up the human race can be(with the song's meaning of extermination of the planet) with that Sickness type of intention. The song hits Disturbed on so many levels in just one song. And I look forward to hearing everything else from the album. I would like to hear something sound darker, ike the intro in this track. Except longer. Something like Haunted.

I did enjoy Inside the Fire, but when I finally got the full Indestructible album, it was probably (along with Curse) my least listened to track.

30Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Thu 17 Jun 2010, 19:04

JEC

JEC
Down With the Sickness
It's Amazing!!! Fists

31Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Thu 17 Jun 2010, 20:32

LeafyBug

LeafyBug
Stupified
Inside the Fire was probably my least favorite song on Indestructible. The part where he goes "Devon lies beyond this portal" just completely destroys the flow of the song. It's so jarring to hear that change so abruptly.

32Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Thu 17 Jun 2010, 22:42

IndestructibleWolf

IndestructibleWolf
Overall I'd have to say it was fairly decent, though there are others out there I'd rather listen to. I kind of like the message David is trying to get across but the execution could be improved. The intro was my favorite part of the song, the instrumental part sounded as if it were a mix between Ten Thousand Fists and Believe, giving you that heavy feel while still maintaining their melodic sound while the vocals sounded as if they were straight from Believe with that melodic and powerful tone. Then it goes into the main part of the song. The verses weren't too bad and I find myself humming them but the chorus really disappointed me, I expected more from David.

33Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Fri 18 Jun 2010, 00:11

biohazardousbacon

biohazardousbacon
When i first heard it, i wasn't very impressed by the song. The chorus sounded a bit lousy, like they just quickly threw in a guitar riff and just work from there with random (almost progressive-style) snare hits and meaningless lyrics... the lyrics really dissapointed me.
however, the verse sounded really nice and i thought that the staccato guitar pounces matched well with the rest of the instruments and vocals, the lyrics seemed to work as well. though the verse didn't fit well with the chorus, they didn't match and they felt like they were from two different songs. also, the solo/bridge really slowed down the tempo of the song and didn't suit where the song was pointing towards. Without a doubt, the solo sounded nice, but it didn't work with the song. The intro was my favorite part of the song to be honest.
it has grown on me though... and the more i listen to it, the more i like it.
i still have high hopes for the album though!

34Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Fri 18 Jun 2010, 01:29

TheOneYouForsaken

TheOneYouForsaken
Loading The Weapon
I really like the song just for the fact that its something new from Disturbed, like many though I have a problem with the courses to me it just feels like it belongs in another song, you have these aggressive and heavy verses but then the chorus comes in and it kinda throws me off a bit. I also think they could have added another verse after the solo maybe something similar to the intro and then jump into the chorus. But overall the song has a good message and leaves you wanting more and I still expect big things from Asylum.

35Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Sun 20 Jun 2010, 03:55

CrowX

CrowX
Administrator
Hey Guys read Sylgraph Review of Another Way To Die

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thank you very Much Sylgraph for letting me post your Review.

36Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Sun 20 Jun 2010, 08:48

Proph3tTroyer

Proph3tTroyer
The guitars, and drums were amazing. Exactly what I would like to see.

However...

Draiman disappointed me. It was not cryptic, not poetic. It did not share any similarity to say Perfect Insanity, which displays not only cryptic lyrics but a poetic style rivaled by geniuses.

For that reason, this song goes in the "Hate It" category for the same reason as Enemy, Inside the Fire and Droppin' Plates.

Not the first time I was disappointed by a Disturbed single, however. I completely hated everything about Inside the Fire... but as a whole the album Indestructible was amazing. We'll see in time..

37Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Sun 20 Jun 2010, 13:13

4everDisturbed

4everDisturbed
Inside The Fire
Proph3tTroyer wrote:For that reason, this song goes in the "Hate It" category for the same reason as Enemy, Droppin' Plates
I have a serious pet peeve about people who call the song "Conflict" the wrong name (enemy). I for one love that they decided to give that song a creative name. I dont mind it but it bothers me when bands like ac/dc name everyone of their songs simple names. I mean come on, they shout the song name every chorus? And how can you put droppin plates in the hate column? It's not even an actual song. They simply made a song about haters and people who put them down. David's lyrics are the best.

38Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Sun 20 Jun 2010, 13:19

CrowX

CrowX
Administrator
4everDisturbed wrote:
Proph3tTroyer wrote:For that reason, this song goes in the "Hate It" category for the same reason as Enemy, Droppin' Plates
I have a serious pet peeve about people who call the song "Conflict" the wrong name (enemy). I for one love that they decided to give that song a creative name. I dont mind it but it bothers me when bands like ac/dc name everyone of their songs simple names. I mean come on, they shout the song name every chorus? And how can you put droppin plates in the hate column? It's not even an actual song. They simply made a song about haters and people who put them down. David's lyrics are the best.

Please don't go off topic this is Another Way to Die reviews not about Conflict thank you

39Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Sun 20 Jun 2010, 15:07

Vioz

Eye of the Storm
im still out of words so.....YAY

40Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Sun 20 Jun 2010, 15:22

bassman47

bassman47
Stricken
Ok, im give my full review.

Personally, i have never been a huge fan of the melodic-style that Disturbed presented in albums like 'Believe'. I am more attuned to hearing Disturbed display machine gun verses with a tight, meaningful chorus. I feel this song delivers, to a point.

The intro was something that i feel was defiantly necessary, but not something i would want to hear for an entire album. The guitar rift is somewhat generic, but it really embodies Disturbed's sound, and to be honest, as soon as you hear it you know you're listening to Disturbed.

For people disappointed about the chorus, you only have to look at other very successful songs, like 'Stricken'. 'Stricken' had a fast, heavy and awesome verse, followed by a slightly slower chorus that allowed for a deeper meaning into the song's origins. 'Another Way to Die' displays almost the same qualities but with a more progressive style that honestly, has probably the best drumming I've ever heard from a Disturbed song.

The chorus may of been slightly choppy, transition-wise, however, the amount of raw talent that went into it shows that Disturbed is evolving into what the band was looking for before 'Indestructible'.

All in all, i love the song. It has meaning, power and has a sound that screams 'Disturbed' without sounding totally like another song they've previously released.

9.5/10

41Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Sun 20 Jun 2010, 16:28

Droid

Droid
Stupified
I am the only one who felt like I heard this exact guitar structure and drum structure before? I mean it feels a little like a redo of a previous song. I dunno, but I feel this is the worst single put out by Disturbed. The song has no direction, it keeps fighting with itself in that it can't decide to be brooding or loud.

42Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Sun 20 Jun 2010, 22:14

Proph3tTroyer

Proph3tTroyer
4everDisturbed wrote:

Yea I know, when I got the song from Limewire it was titled Enemy and I have a bad habit of calling it that.

But still, the point remains.

43Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Mon 21 Jun 2010, 02:22

Disturbed1forEternity

Disturbed1forEternity
God of the Mind
I love the song and even referenced it in a blog I posted on myspace today. I agree with everything that David says in it. We are killing the planet and if we're not careful, Mother Earth is going to wipe us out.

Proph3tTroyer wrote:
4everDisturbed wrote:

Yea I know, when I got the song from Limewire it was titled Enemy and I have a bad habit of calling it that.

I was in the same bad habit there for awhile with Meaning of Life. Limewire calls is Get Psycho... I started calling it that. Then, one day my little brother told me that if I called it that one more time, he was going to "smack me upside my head. The title of the song is Meaning of Life, not Get Psycho.", so I totally understand where you're coming from.

44Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Mon 21 Jun 2010, 12:58

4everDisturbed

4everDisturbed
Inside The Fire
Proph3tTroyer wrote:
4everDisturbed wrote:

yeah your right. sorry didnt meaqn to jump on you about that..

back to the topic about AWTD. ive seen many reviews saying things like "it sounds like criminal", "it sounds like the curse". these reactions make me want the second single even more because i wanna know what asylum as a whole sounds like. and awtd was like one taste. one taste isnt enough to decide if somethings good or bad, or in this case sounds like former works

45Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Mon 21 Jun 2010, 13:14

jpmatrixfan88

jpmatrixfan88
Stupified
4everDisturbed wrote:
Proph3tTroyer wrote:
4everDisturbed wrote:

yeah your right. sorry didnt meaqn to jump on you about that..

back to the topic about AWTD. ive seen many reviews saying things like "it sounds like criminal", "it sounds like the curse". these reactions make me want the second single even more because i wanna know what asylum as a whole sounds like. and awtd was like one taste. one taste isnt enough to decide if somethings good or bad, or in this case sounds like former works

I think the main riff sounds slightly like Criminal. The chorus isn't all that great though, they have way better choruses :P

I love the solo, first verse, and intro though. The song does have elements of stuff that sounds different.

46Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! - Page 2 Empty Re: Another Way To Die! REVIEWS! Mon 21 Jun 2010, 13:26

4everDisturbed

4everDisturbed
Inside The Fire
Droid wrote:I am the only one who felt like I heard this exact guitar structure and drum structure before? I mean it feels a little like a redo of a previous song. I dunno, but I feel this is the worst single put out by Disturbed. The song has no direction, it keeps fighting with itself in that it can't decide to be brooding or loud.
I think theres a bunch of things causing this. I mean the intro kind of screwed up the song in that way. the intro was soft and calm while the verses were rough and louder. Also this song has alot of elements from past songs "it reminds you of past songs" quoting david. i sadly agree that its disturbed's worst single but someones said before i think the oil spill and current situation kind of made the band chose this song

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

FacebookTwitterFacebookFacebook

•  

Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com