Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Thu 03 Nov 2011, 22:24

4everDisturbed

4everDisturbed
Inside The Fire
I was pumped to listen to song "Mine” since its
existence was revealed. And after the review of The Lost Children commented on
how good the song was, I was even more ready for it.

When I finally got to hear the song yesterday, I had multiple reactions.
Here are a couple general points before I get more in depth: I
liked the eerie intro but felt the voices were a little unnecessary. I felt
that they made the song feel shorter than it was. As if their inclusion was just
to add length to the song . . . Also, I
expected a solo towards the end but it never happened

I think many if not all of us know that the main thing that
haters of Disturbed complain about is that their songs all sound similar. Do I
agree with that? Sometimes I do. And in this case I do. Don’t get me wrong! I
think Mine is an excellent song….if you don’t hear any other Disturbed songs it
would be even better. I can easily hear parts of Another Way to Die and My
Child in the song

I have developed a theory after listening to this song why
so many of Disturbed’s songs sound the same: as much as I love him, Dan Donegan
is not creative enough as a musician. In “Mine” I heard notes and chords that
are very same ones he plays in other songs. (David is also singing the same
notes he sings in other songs but that goes back to Danny because David makes
his lyrics and notes off of what Danny writes.) I wish he would use a new amp,
try a new scale, try a new tuning, or something. I feel like Danny is lacking
creativity after 10 years. I feel that he isn’t very skilled at coming up with
new guitar riffs without them sounding similar, a result of self-teaching. I
feel like “Indestructible”, “Warrior”, “Asylum”, and “Mine” all have a main
riff that sounds too similar. It undeniably uses the same chords.

When I heard “Mine”,
I ever heard anything that wow’d me. Nothing that made me excited. I liked the
song for many reasons: its lyrics, power, intro. But after it finished I felt
like I listened to something I had heard before. I have never felt that way as
a Disturbed fan after listening to a new song so that is why I feel the strong
urge to write about it. As I wrote in the title of this post, this is biased
and a personal opinion so let me know how you guys feel!

2Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Thu 03 Nov 2011, 22:30

Ravensclaw

Ravensclaw
Administrator
your entitled to your onion thats fine it does sound simular i will agree with you there but when it comes to dans creativity i have different views i think he has evolved alot has them all in the band in the past decade or so

3Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Fri 04 Nov 2011, 00:34

disturbedsikkness

disturbedsikkness
Believer
I personally think Danny has evolved the most. Each album's guitars sound at least recognizably different. I'm actually on the flip side of the coin. I personally think David is the one who's stopped innovating. In my opinion, he sounds the same throughout all Disturbed songs. I'm not even saying that's a bad thing; it just is what it is.

4Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Fri 04 Nov 2011, 00:50

4everDisturbed

4everDisturbed
Inside The Fire
I can agree with that. Each album's guitar sound has been different. I just think well most recently he has been overusing a certain guitar riff. Thanks for your take on it! And sorry for the spaces in my post. I have the black box issue and I copied it from MS Word.

5Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Fri 04 Nov 2011, 04:36

CrowX

CrowX
Administrator
I love the intro also the lyrics and the voices as well there telling us something important and it is very vital to the songs message.

As for the band I personally feel Dan has evolved it is obvious listening to all the albums how much he has evolved and the rest of the band for that matter.

6Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Fri 04 Nov 2011, 06:49

helm

helm
Disturbed One
While I agree with many points, including the fact that it does sound very "i've heard this before", we need to remeber that this "new" song should be seen in the context that it is from the Indestructible cycle, and that it didn't even make the cut. Had we heard this over, say, parasite, or run, then we probably wouldn't be as critical of it, expecting it to somehow bring something new to the table with this album. I take it for what it is, musical tapas served by our favourite band. It's not going to whet our appetite, but it lets us appreciate and enjoy how far theyve come, and when viewed alongside the other albums, it demonstrates how much they have developed and fleshed out a body of music that is unmistakeably Disturbed.

7Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Fri 04 Nov 2011, 11:42

alexling88

alexling88
Inside The Fire
I have to say i love this song it reminds me of the sickness the stacto delivery by david is amazing. Thier is no guitar solo i like that and i love the simplistic guitar riff by danny. This will be the vibe for the next record. So thats my opinion would love to hear what you guys think of my review of "mine".

8Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Fri 04 Nov 2011, 14:38

ShockAndAwe

ShockAndAwe
Asylum
You have a good review and you are entitled to your own opinion. Nobody is gonna bash you for it. My opinion is that the entire band as evolved and improved over the years. Danny doesn't want to "wow" the audience with ripping solos like other bands, be makes the riffs and the solos to fit in the with song. He does a damn good job of it too. You gotta remember though, this is a b-side that never got released till now. It's not gonna be an amazing song like DWTS or Indestructible. I love David's power in the song though. We havent heard that much aggression in his voice in The Sickness. The song itself has a sick groove that reminds me of The Sickness. The entire band has come along way in 10+ years.

9Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Fri 04 Nov 2011, 16:13

Bound2Fate

Bound2Fate
I agree with a lot of your review actually. Except, for me Mine does sound a little bit different for Disturbed, but there are a few riffs that sound like riffs from other songs. I do think Dan is running out of ideas. In some recent interviews, he talks about wanting to go to shows looking for inspiration--I think this is potentially proof of him running out of ideas. I don't listen to Disturbed as much as I used to, but I am increasingly getting the feeling that their songs sound the same. I hope this hiatus turns out to be a good thing, because I think the whole band needs some rejuvenation and allow other influences into their music, otherwise they will become stale. I actually really like Mine. The samples really make the song different and the song doesn't have the exact same structure 90% of their songs have.

10Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Fri 04 Nov 2011, 20:23

Overburdened91

Believer
helm wrote: we need to remeber that this "new" song should be seen in the context that it is from the Indestructible cycle,

You're wrong. this was From the Asylum Cycle

11Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Fri 04 Nov 2011, 20:39

Bound2Fate

Bound2Fate
^^^ Actually, you're wrong :P It was written during the Indestructible cycle. Just watch the making of Indestructible dvd and you'll see it listed on the wall with all the songs. It may have been recorded during the Asylum cycle.

12Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Fri 04 Nov 2011, 20:43

disturbedsikkness

disturbedsikkness
Believer
Overburdened91 wrote:
helm wrote: we need to remeber that this "new" song should be seen in the context that it is from the Indestructible cycle,

You're wrong. this was From the Asylum Cycle
No, it was written with Indestructible, though I do think it's safe to say that this RECORDING comes from Asylum. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

13Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Fri 04 Nov 2011, 20:44

disturbedsikkness

disturbedsikkness
Believer
helm wrote:While I agree with many points, including the fact that it does sound very "i've heard this before", we need to remeber that this "new" song should be seen in the context that it is from the Indestructible cycle, and that it didn't even make the cut. Had we heard this over, say, parasite, or run, then we probably wouldn't be as critical of it, expecting it to somehow bring something new to the table with this album. I take it for what it is, musical tapas served by our favourite band. It's not going to whet our appetite, but it lets us appreciate and enjoy how far theyve come, and when viewed alongside the other albums, it demonstrates how much they have developed and fleshed out a body of music that is unmistakeably Disturbed.

I just wanted to note that while I know this song was written during Indestructible, I'd be willing to bet they've added a few things with Asylum. The "piano" intro sounds very Asylum.

14Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Fri 04 Nov 2011, 23:50

alexling88

alexling88
Inside The Fire
By the way mikey played the bongoes on mine this is the most unique song in disturbeds history and is very different for disturbed give them some credit.

15Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Sat 05 Nov 2011, 01:51

4everDisturbed

4everDisturbed
Inside The Fire
Hey guys this post was just my initial reaction after hearing it twice haha Ive heard it a bunch more times now and I love it. A few of my opinions have changed slightly too. I don't mind the voices in the song.. I think they are appropriate enough. And for those of you talking about Danny's evolution as a guitarist... I absolutely agree! Ive been a disturbed fan since DWTS came out got to hear his growth personally. He is a great guitarist.. I guess I was just being too critical. The one point I was trying to make was how his riffs are starting to sound too familiar...

16Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Sat 05 Nov 2011, 05:23

PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy
Haunted
i've just listened to it

The beginning is unique based on everything else they've done and it's definitely growing on me (the song), but it's also obvious it's a b-side. They've never said any different :D

Another great song from Disturbed.

And about what u were saying earlier, with songs sounding the same - i don't agree with that. I say most of them are based on a certain formula and have a very specific sound, but they don't sound alike. If they did, we/I wouldn't be able to differentiate between them and say which is which. But I can do that easily

17Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Sat 05 Nov 2011, 10:34

alexling88

alexling88
Inside The Fire
MIKEY PLAYING BONGOES!!!!!!! THE BONGOES!

18Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Sat 05 Nov 2011, 21:26

ShockAndAwe

ShockAndAwe
Asylum
If you want a band where nearly all of their songs sound the same, listen to Skillet's Awake album, I love that band, but honestly they do sound the same. Disturbed does not suffer from AC/DC-itus. Inside the Fire sounds nothing like Meaning of :Life. Remember sounds nothing like The Animal. Stricken sounds nothing like Down with the Sickness. The list could go on forever.

19Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Sun 06 Nov 2011, 00:28

disturbedsikkness

disturbedsikkness
Believer
I think that's a little generous. Disturbed songs do generally have a similar structure and tone and sound. You can tell it's Disturbed. If this wasn't a fact then it wouldn't be such a widespread criticism of the band. That said, there are sonic intricacies to each album. They're mostly just recognized by avid listeners, though (i.e. us). People who say Disturbed songs sound identical aren't listening hard enough. But to say each Disturbed song is distinct from all the others is to oversell that idea. They do have quite a few similar songs and quite a distinct sound that they use quite a bit, if that makes sense.

20Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Sun 06 Nov 2011, 01:42

4everDisturbed

4everDisturbed
Inside The Fire
ShockAndAwe wrote:If you want a band where nearly all of their songs sound the same, listen to Skillet's Awake album, I love that band, but honestly they do sound the same. Disturbed does not suffer from AC/DC-itus. Inside the Fire sounds nothing like Meaning of :Life. Remember sounds nothing like The Animal. Stricken sounds nothing like Down with the Sickness. The list could go on forever.
Haha man I love skillet's awake album. I don't think the songs sound the same! I think it goes to say that songs sound the same to people who are not fans of the band. I could easily continue your list but that isnt the point. And all the compareisons you made are from different albums :P so you made it easy. And just because you can differentiate between songs doesn't mean they dont sound the same or similar. Lyricsa and hooks from songs keep their individuality .

Hey Im a fan who believes that disturbed songs dont sound the same at all but I think it is impossible to disagree with the people who say disturbed has a familiar sound in its songs

21Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Sun 06 Nov 2011, 08:06

Infecto

Infecto
Disturbed One
I think that the guitar in "Mine" is similar to "3"...and sadly, 4everdisturbed is right in some ways....but I have a bit different opinion..I think that ALL their ALBUMS have an UNIQUE sound...but the songs of each album are similar to the other ones in the same album.
Still,Disturbed is now on Hiatus and I'm sure in those hiatus years they'll get some new ideas and create a completely UNIQUE ALBUM later!

22Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Sun 06 Nov 2011, 11:09

ShockAndAwe

ShockAndAwe
Asylum
Disturbed has their own sound. It's worked so far, so why change it? If I aint broke, dont fix it.

23Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Sun 06 Nov 2011, 12:47

4everDisturbed

4everDisturbed
Inside The Fire
I absolutely agree with the last two posts
@Infecto You're right dude. Disturbed albums all have a different tone and vibe to them
@ShockAndAwe Sounds good to me. Their sound has produced great songs. I have no problem with their sound :) I hope people didn't take my criticism the wrong way haha

24Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Sun 06 Nov 2011, 14:27

Infecto

Infecto
Disturbed One
FUCK YEAH Dancing David

25Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Empty Re: Review: Disturbed / Mine (Biased) Mon 07 Nov 2011, 20:14

bassman47

bassman47
Stricken
Personally, I LOVED the beginning of "Mine" and was blown away by the message and content involved with it. Even so, I feel this could have been the next DWTS in terms of popularity. It truly had that potantial and could have made an UNBELIEVEABLE live song. I could just picture the masses of fans raising their fists to every beat of "HEY!, HEY!"

That being said. It isnt. It is a truly unique song that sounds exactly as a Disturbed song should but it could have been beyond what it turned out as. It had huge potential, and the delievery just took it in a different turn, directing it towards a different vibe. (And the guys have every right to do so, after all, it is one of their 'children')

hard to discribe, but i hope you get the picture.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

FacebookTwitterFacebookFacebook

•  

Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com