Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

alexling88

alexling88
Inside The Fire
i spoke to a guy who is in a metal a vocalist we start talking about metal and i told him that i am Huge Disturbed fan he said that disturbed are sell outs and do only what the label tells them what to record. Record labels tell people what to listen to. I think this is soooo stupid the labels don't care what songs are put out as long as they are making money. Thats what this is all about money disturbed writes the best music not because the label told them too its their job and they write their own music.Bands evolve and make money and if thats selling out then fine then that means pretty much every american person who has a high paying job is a sell-out or sucks corporate dick. This argument is soo stupid. Any Thoughts or Comments??????

MMEggman

MMEggman
Loading The Weapon
Selling out, in lamens, would be doing something you wouldn't otherwise do simply for making money... Such things would include doing a commercial or shaping something you've created to a mainstream interest because you want it to sell.

Disturbed have needed the approval of their label to do their own thing (Which includes self produce), which means that the label are letting them do their own thing and are not stepping in and influencing it in any way. Just because a band becomes popular and earns money does not mean they're sell outs... Disturbed actually use their money that they've earned to put on bigger and better shows with more production value. It's about giving back to the fans with them.
I hate the morons who say an artist is a sell out just as soon as they make some money. That's their job. They do this for a living even if it isn't primarily about money, they do it because it's their dream and passion.

According to illogical, ignorant, simple minded morons - Selling out means you evolve and progress in your art and don't create the same thing that put them on the map.
I hate people with that mindset.

If a a band sells merch, they MUST be sell outs. Not because the fans love to support the band and love having their favourite artists on a shirt to show that they like the band or anything, no.
If a band sells a record, they MUST be sell outs. So every artist should just make one album and have it sold for free and then just not bother from then on out.

Disturbed's music is not marketable. It doesn't appeal to the popular culture world. It isn't influenced by social, cultural or media trends... I mean shit. They are one of 3 bands in musical history to have 4 consecutive number 1 albums, but has anybody heard that on the news? Has anybody actually heard that statistic outside of actually looking up Disturbed news (Including this forum)?

That's my rant about this. I absolutely can not stand the sell out argument by ignorant, good for nothing, musically retarded pricks.

alexling88

alexling88
Inside The Fire
i agree man AMEN!!! perfectly put, better than i could. Rock On!!!\m/\m/

Animal-of-The-Night

Animal-of-The-Night
Loading The Weapon
MMEggman wrote:Selling out, in lamens, would be doing something you wouldn't otherwise do simply for making money... Such things would include doing a commercial or shaping something you've created to a mainstream interest because you want it to sell.

Disturbed have needed the approval of their label to do their own thing (Which includes self produce), which means that the label are letting them do their own thing and are not stepping in and influencing it in any way. Just because a band becomes popular and earns money does not mean they're sell outs... Disturbed actually use their money that they've earned to put on bigger and better shows with more production value. It's about giving back to the fans with them.
I hate the morons who say an artist is a sell out just as soon as they make some money. That's their job. They do this for a living even if it isn't primarily about money, they do it because it's their dream and passion.

According to illogical, ignorant, simple minded morons - Selling out means you evolve and progress in your art and don't create the same thing that put them on the map.
I hate people with that mindset.

If a a band sells merch, they MUST be sell outs. Not because the fans love to support the band and love having their favourite artists on a shirt to show that they like the band or anything, no.
If a band sells a record, they MUST be sell outs. So every artist should just make one album and have it sold for free and then just not bother from then on out.

Disturbed's music is not marketable. It doesn't appeal to the popular culture world. It isn't influenced by social, cultural or media trends... I mean shit. They are one of 3 bands in musical history to have 4 consecutive number 1 albums, but has anybody heard that on the news? Has anybody actually heard that statistic outside of actually looking up Disturbed news (Including this forum)?

That's my rant about this. I absolutely can not stand the sell out argument by ignorant, good for nothing, musically retarded pricks.

Hell yeah, brother. I agree 100%; I couldn’t have said it any better, myself.

And for the main topic, that moron is either jealous that he’s not as big as a band like Disturbed, or he doesn’t know Disturbed the way we fans do and therefore does not understand our boys or their level of passion for both their music and dedication to their fans.
Yes, there are sell-out artists in this music industry, but I can guarantee that Disturbed is NOT one of them!

PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy
Haunted
MMEggman, you said perfectly!

GuiltyPleasures

GuiltyPleasures
Global Moderator
The labels can't control the passion a band has for their music, and that's what Disturbed has...PASSION!! Allowing them to make the music they want to make was a wise decision on the label's part. If you want something bad enough, you'll work hard to not only get it, but to make it your own and not let anyone dictate what you do. That's what a lot of people who accuse Disturbed of being sell outs don't get. The band is as successful as they are and as popular with their fans as they are because they worked hard, and STILL work hard, to make it so. I've heard in countless interviews someone asking David what keeps him and the band going, and every time, David says "the fans". Not the money. Not the fame. Not the prestige of having four #1 debuts in a row. It's us...THE FANS! They know that without the fans, they are nothing.

When you love what you do, and others love you for what you do, that in itself is the meaning of success. The people crying "SELL OUT!" can kiss my fat Italian ass for all I care. They're just jealous. And that, my brothers, my sisters, my blood, is that.

Bound2Fate

Bound2Fate
For a band to sell out, it is when they have decided to forsake playing from their hearts and instead to cater to the wants of others.

I don't think Disturbed has really done this, so I wouldn't classify them as sellouts. Their music has easy mass appeal in my opinion, although not on the level of other shitty pop artists, but that is because they write good, fairly catchy music that can speak to a lot of people. The guy described in the first post is probably one of those people that only listens to obscure music trying to be cool. But I was watching an interview with the vocalist of 10 Years yesterday and he was talking about how the labels try to push them in ways they don't want to. That happens too.

I listen to a lot of more obscure or lesser known music, but I don't go around thinking that just because something is really popular that they are sell outs or really shitty. There's shit music everywhere. It is our goal to filter through the mountains of shit and find the diamonds. You have to listen to what you like, support those artists, and if other people like something else, then so what. Music is subject to opinion.

Ravensclaw

Ravensclaw
Administrator
One band Linkin Park

Dawn_Cato

Dawn_Cato
Global Moderator
Stay away from ignorant people....I can't say anything else.

CrowX

CrowX
Administrator
Dawn_Cato wrote:Stay away from ignorant people....I can't say anything else.

Exactly let them think what they want Disturbed has never sold out and never will.

Yumiyuri

Yumiyuri
Immortalized
I think Disturbed would rather disband than sell out, since you can really tell that they're doing their work from their hearts and souls. A sold out band has no heart, and they're lost in the commands of their label. Sad thing is, many bands have become this way.

DYLANPCRIDDLE

DYLANPCRIDDLE
One of The Ten Thousand
I honestly dont think there are that many artists that "sell out" in the world. Are there genres that appeal more to a modern culture, yes. Honestly, I think most of those genres have produced some of the worst music in the last millenium. That being said, they did not neccessarily sell out. What i am trying to say is just because an artist or group sounds incredibly mainstream, it shouldnt be assumed that the artist is doing this for money. Most professional musicians actually like the kind of music they play. So even if Disturbed could be considered mainstream on any level, that does not make them sell outs. Nor does it make any pop, rap, or any other popular genre artist a sell out either.

Monster666

Monster666
Stricken
i can't stand this shit. just cause a band decides to play something different on a new album or something doesn't automatically make them a sell out. Most bands don't want to play the same stuff and style over and over. Metallica is a good example. Theres a whole "Metallica sold out" movement that i can't stand. Metallica played the music they wanted to. Just like Disturbed does. Just cause Disturbed's new album dosn't sound just like the sickness dosn't mean they sold out at all. They just wanted to make different awesome music.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

FacebookTwitterFacebookFacebook

•  

Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com