Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Empty Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Wed 20 May 2009, 15:07

Remiel

Stricken
Having already posted this on Disturbed1.com, I am copying and pasting it here. This is my personal review and not to be thought of as professional.

Disturbed in Des Moines (again)
Well, I got my wish and attended the Disturbed concert in Des Moines IA! I panicked a bit when I heard that the concert had been moved from the Veteran's Memorial Auditorium, but I got to the other place just fine. (I don't remember exactly where that was though).

The overall experience was great. Well, I'm a sheltered weirdo who doesn't attend many events, but I can still safely say that this concert was the single most awesome thing I have ever experienced. I got to the place around 5:00 so I missed all of the pre-show festivities, but I wasn't really interested in those things in the first place.

Lacuna Coil was the first band on stage. And a comment about said stage, it was very small. I don't know why the Vet's couldn't be used, but despite the cramped area Disturbed's performance was epic. The small area accumulated hellish amounts of heat, which David actually commented on. "Are you sure this is Des Moines, Iowa?" Everyone cheers. David continues, "Really? Cuz it feels like fuckin' Africa in here." And by my estimate, it had to be around 120 to 130 degrees in the front, and no cooler than 90 in the back.

Anyway, Lacuna Coil's performance was unimpressive, as expected. The band's biggest performance piece was twirling their hair in circles while jamming their repetitive riffs. There was some guy behind me who screamed, "Nobody cares! Get off the stage!" when a vocalist announced their new CD. That was kind of funny.

Next up was Chimaera, or however they spell it, and the only differences between them and Lacuna coil was, the riffs were faster (but just as muggy), there was only one vocalist (and he's a growler), and they sucked a little more. With both bands, I could not for the life of me tell the difference between their songs.

Finally, Killswitch Engage took the stage. I had never liked them before, but I was surprisingly impressed with them. It may have been my expectations diminishing from having to suffer through Lacuna Coil and Chimaera, but the point is they were good. They even had a little act where the guitarist starts complaining about pussy. It didn't make any sense, but it was a good break and a good laugh. I now understand why David muffed some lyrics in Land of Confusion, but I won't spoil it for those who still want to attend a concert. You'll get a laugh out of it.

As soon as Killswitch finished I moved to the front. It was pretty easy to get there because apparently everybody had to take a piss break at the same time.

There was a performance piece missing from Disturbed's act. In most shows I've seen on TV or internet, or read or heard about, there is a big black curtain that hides the band before they start playing. In this tiny hell-hole, only the drumset was covered. When that cover came off though, the view was good. Mike's new drumset has more style than the previous 10,000 Fists set, with The Guy's face in a fiery blaze staring out at the crowd from the bass drums. The coolest part about it was the fire started to look like lightning every time a kick hit.

As always, the band's custom intro was great. The acoustic remix of Remember was an incredible performance. The concert goers at Des Moines saddened me. I was the first with my lighter in the air and one of the few to keep it there. Show some support you assholes!

My only complaints, the opening bands were awful, but they always are no matter who you're going to see.
Disturbed didn't play The Night like hey did in Waterloo. I was looking forward to hearing it.
And to no fault but my own, I got elbowed in the ribs. As it turns out, there's a proper way to stand in a crowded concert. Arms protect your ribs, elbows out. Hm.

Anyone who wants to go to a Disturbed concert, NEVER second guess it, you'll be missing out on an incredible performance and a terrific overall experience. Just don't drink too much, there were lots of people being dragged out for being too intoxicated. Also funny.

-Remiel

2Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Empty Re: Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Wed 20 May 2009, 19:37

Bowers

Bowers
Immortalized
iv heard on prevoius reviews of MAAW iv that lacuna coil and chimera have been quite good has any1 else who has been to one of their shows give another opinon?

3Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Empty Re: Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Thu 21 May 2009, 13:27

Cythros

Cythros
I was at the concert in Des Moines too and I have to agree with Remiel. Lacuna Coil wasn't very interesting and Chimera lacked musical talent. I guess the only way people could enjoy seeing those bands live is if they already liked hearing them in the first place.

4Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Empty Re: Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Thu 21 May 2009, 19:11

IndestructibleWolf

IndestructibleWolf
I, too, was at the concert, and I must say that they did a much better job than they did in Waterloo, David didn't sing as well as he did on the CD's, which left me only slightly disappointed, which was quickly forgotten, at this one, I really couldn't tell the difference between CD and live. The only thing I could really complain about was the bands before Disturbed, they were less than up to par with Disturbed...of course, I have high expectations when I go to a Disturbed concert.

5Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Empty Re: Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Thu 21 May 2009, 21:06

Bowers

Bowers
Immortalized
lol was i the only one not at that concert :lol:

6Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Empty Re: Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Sun 24 May 2009, 13:21

LadyCorruption

Warrior
I went to the one in Waterloo and I didn't see Chiamera. Don't care though as I was only there to see Disturbed. Lacuna Coil wasn't that great imo either. The only band that really rocked was Disturbed.

7Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Empty Re: Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Mon 25 May 2009, 13:19

DYLANPCRIDDLE

DYLANPCRIDDLE
One of The Ten Thousand
I really wish i could see Killswitch and Disturbed on the same night, even if i hav to listen to Lacuna Coil and Chameira. Did i spell Chameira right? Hehe, I already know i havent.

8Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Empty Re: Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Mon 25 May 2009, 15:10

xxxDisturbedxxx

xxxDisturbedxxx
Loading The Weapon
It seems people are kind of bias towards Disturbed here (Really? NO SHIT!), and yea, the only way you could have enjoyed the opening acts is if you previously enjoyed their music :\.

9Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Empty Re: Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Mon 25 May 2009, 19:43

LadyCorruption

Warrior
Well, excuse me. I was just posting my opinion. I do like other opening acts of Disturbed. I liked when they performed with Taproot, Chevelle, and Unloco. I didn't even know Unloco and just seeing their band got me into their music so. You aren't exactly speaking the truth.

10Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Empty Re: Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Tue 26 May 2009, 08:52

Morbid Spawn

Morbid Spawn
One of The Ten Thousand
Everyone has an opinion guys, dont deter one another from there own.

11Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Empty Re: Review for MaaW IV Des Moines, IA Sun 10 Jan 2010, 14:01

S.M.F

S.M.F
Eye of the Storm
I've always liked chimaira but i've never seen them live.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

FacebookTwitterFacebookFacebook

•  

Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com