Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

jesteranime

jesteranime
An Amateur Review of the Album Asylum by Disturbed
Reviewed by: Steven Jester

[NOTE: This review is only for the body of work as released in the Standard release. (“Remnants” – “Innocence”) The text of this review was released almost simultaneously on both Morbus Rising (https://disturbedone.forumotion.com/forum.htm) and DisturbedMB.com (http://disturbedmb.com/index.php). The reason it is just the Standard release is that’s the base album that the average fan will buy and, as such, is the main body of work that will make or break the album. As for the multiple release of the review: I see that the fan base seems split and I figure highlighting both good and bad will make the jaded see the music in a new light and the obsessed recognize that there are places where there are negatives and they should be acknowledged along with the positives. As always, this is one person’s, relatively amateur, opinion and I am a strong advocate for listening to the album, in full and uninterrupted, and making your own opinion.]

When the average fan thinks of Disturbed, they think powerful lyrics and amazing musicality. Disturbed’s fifth studio album, Asylum, seems to deliver that with a major kick to the balls. As with most of Disturbed’s music, in order to truly appreciate their music I believe that one shouldn’t look at each song individually at first. With Asylum that task was a very pleasant and a most anticipated adventure. From the beginning of the album with the track “Remnants,” Asylum is a rollercoaster ride of emotion and instinct. As the title track, which blends perfectly into the instrumental “Remnants,” says:

In the end there will be no suffering, more suffering
In the end you will find out everything, not anything
In the end you may question your belief, what belief?
In the end you will realize finally how you are saved

After my lyrical analysis I happened to be asking a few questions of my subconscious as well, though I don’t really expect an answer.

Anyway, the album continues down the proverbial rabbit hole with “The Infection;” a rather personal, reflective song. I find that, while the band has their own meaning for the song, unless they’re blatant in expressing it in the song like they are in “Never Again,” the lyrics take on a slightly different, but thematically similar, meaning for me. It’s just my nature. However, even with that in mind, I should point out that it flowed really well coming off of the dark “Asylum.”

Asylum flows really well in its dark, yet soul building, atmosphere through album heavyweights “The Infection” and “Warrior” up until the first single, released about a month and a half ago, “Another Way to Die.” “Another Way to Die” is the first major speed bump of the Album. As a song it is still a good song as a standalone, with actually very subtle lyrics considering the bands true meaning for the song. They never come out and specifically say “This song is about Global Warming” in the song, yet listeners can hear those themes in the lyrics. However, as a song in an album and not a standalone song, it is a speed bump that sends a message that isn’t in line with the remainder of the album. The subtle, yet ever present, message in “Another Way to Die” is both its strength and weakness. To be honest, this song would have done best as a B-side.

After that break the overall theme of soul deconstruction, self examination, and finally reconstruction of your soul anew, returns with “Never Again.” While this is the only song on the album with a really blatant message, it has deeper meanings that are personal to every individual listener. To me, it was a song of retribution and righteous anger. “We have been wronged before; I will keep my head high and extract justice,” that is what the song says to me. The surface message, about Holocaust deniers, is not detrimental to the song like the band’s original message for “Another Way to Die.”

Continuing down the rabbit hole we have “The Animal” and “Crucified” which, while not bad songs in it of themselves, weren’t bright spots in the album and will take more play-throughs to fully understand.

However, we come to the shining example of Disturbed’s musical evolution: “Serpentine.” I cannot stop listening to this song. Front-man David Draiman’s voice rings through the band’s exceptional backing orchestrated by lead guitarist Dan Donegan. With each passing note, “Serpentine” imprints its legacy into my soul. Far and above, on a standalone perspective, it is the best song of the album. Timing, rhythm, lyrics, atmosphere, the whole song just radiates awesome.

The remainder of the album, “My Child,” “Sacrifice,” and “Innocence” all are good songs in their own right, and they follow the main themes of the album when listened to in context, but they are just not bright spots in my eyes. “My Child,” in particular, is rather jarring with it being the second bluntest song, behind “Never Again,” on the album and the haunting baby cry in the beginning.

Overall, this album was a step forward from the previous albums while still retaining their over-arching themes. As with every body of work, there are places where I could nitpick, the rather forced vocal rhythms in “Warrior” come to mind, however on the whole it was a pleasant experience that I will definitely enjoy for years to come.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

FacebookTwitterFacebookFacebook

•  

Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com