Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

CrowX

CrowX
Administrator
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Listen to Audio Here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Dave Draiman should be relaxed.

After all, he's calling from sunny San Francisco, where he's enjoying a beautiful summer day with his girlfriend before he embarks on a yearlong tour with his band, Disturbed. The group's last three albums have all debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200, and unless Susan Boyle drops a surprise last-minute record Aug. 31, its fifth album, "Asylum" (Reprise), will probably do the same.

Disturbed has sold 9 million albums domestically in the last 10 years, and almost half that number can be attributed to its breakthrough record, 2000's "The Sickness," which has sold 4.2 million copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan. But the band has been remarkably consistent, even as sales have trended downward: 2002's "Believe" sold 1.8 million, 2005's "Ten Thousand Fists" sold 1.9 million, and 2008's "Indestructible" sold 1.1 million.

The act has built a solid tour following during its long career, and has a fan base renowned for its loyalty and longevity. Disturbed fans are known for not only sticking with the band, but for passing fan-dom along, as evidenced by the crowd-surfing elementary schoolers who attend shows with their parents and appear in the forthcoming DVD, "Decade of Disturbed."

But despite all of this, Draiman is not mellow. "I'm always worried," he says. "About everything."

Part of this neurosis could just be his natural state. While he's funny and friendly on the phone, a quick read of his lyrics reveals that his band's name is appropriate. Topics tackled on the new record include "being trapped in the prison of your own mind," losing a lover, religion serving as a catalyst for war and the Holocaust. The album's lightest track -- if you can call it that -- "The Animal," is about becoming a werewolf, though don't expect it to show up in any "Twilight" fan videos anytime soon.

Worrywart nature aside, though, Draiman has a right to be concerned. While metal is considered one of the last genres not beset by fair-weather fans and an over-before-it-begins blog hype cycle, that doesn't mean it's not without its fair share of problems. For an astute businessman and long-timer like Draiman, the challenges are very real.

FLYOVER ZONES

Disturbed manager Jeff Battaglia still believes in the power of the transistor. "Radio is still the single most important driver for a band like this," he says. "And the changes at alternative radio have impacted us in a real way."

According to Mike Rittberg, senior VP of promotion at Reprise, "In the early part of the decade, the alternative format played more rock, but recently we've seen a shift, and there is less crossover between the active rock format and alternative." For a band like Disturbed, "this has resulted in lost exposure and less audience reach."

The band is still a monster presence at active rock radio. It has lodged seven No. 1s, the same as Metallica, and only Linkin Park and Creed have topped the chart more times (nine and eight, respectively). Disturbed has also had 15 tracks in the top 10, tying with the Foo Fighters and Nickelback, and trailing only Godsmack (which has 18).

But the shift in programming at alternative has hurt the band, according to Battaglia. "When we started, there were more opportunities at radio," he says. "There were more opportunities in general -- MTV still played videos by hard rock bands, there were more magazines that would cover a band like Disturbed. It still takes radio support to get people to come out in many markets."

Battaglia won't name specific markets where lack of radio has hurt, but says it's a concern. "When we do package tours, like Ozzfest or this summer's Uproar tour, radio will talk about it and that'll get people out," he says. But Battaglia is also concerned that touring is no longer the sure bet it once was.

"There is too much traffic right now," he says. "More bands are depending on touring and merch to make all their money, and this summer has been tough for a lot of people."

Because the band still has relatively strong album sales, Battaglia says its revenue tends to be split fairly equally among record sales, touring and merchandise.

"Disturbed's base is everything between New York and Los Angeles," Reprise senior VP of marketing Rob Gordon says, and he's only half-kidding. "Minneapolis is a huge town for us, as is most of the Midwest. Seattle and Boston are both great rock markets, too. This is definitely a band for the masses."

Gordon says markets like New York and L.A. are harder for the band to crack. "They'll come to the New York area and play Jones Beach or Saratoga or Buffalo," he says. "They'll play Irvine rather than Los Angeles and Sacramento rather than the Bay Area."

MEET ME IN THE MIDDLE

If the hipsters in Silverlake and Brooklyn don't dig the group, so be it. At this point, it knows its base, Disturbed knows what its base likes, and it'll be damned if it's going to mess with the formula. "There are many ways the new record isn't really different from the previous ones," Draiman says. "It's more complex in terms of composition, and I think the storytelling aspect of the lyrics is better. But while we always want to grow, we never want to deviate from what we fundamentally do. We make rhythmic, aggressive rock. All killer, no filler."

Battaglia says many of the band's early fans have stuck with it, and as other metal acts from the scene have broken up or fallen by the wayside, some of their fans have joined Team Disturbed. But Gordon says there are still plenty of potential converts out there, and the band and Reprise will be going after them hard.

"We want to reach out to teens, because we feel like that's the demo we're not getting as much as we'd like," Gordon says. "The base is 18- to 35-year-olds."

Gordon says the band is planning on doing more with gaming for "Asylum."

"They are the Xbox artist of the month, and we have created a game called 'Escape From the Asylum,' which will launch online in August," he says. "They've done tons of synchs in videogames, and we are releasing a three-pack for 'Rock Band' on Aug. 24, and working on something with 'Guitar Hero,' too." He says Disturbed was often synched in World Wrestling Entertainment events or ultimate fighting shows, but those outlets have recently decided they want music that's "more PG."

Disturbed will be doing a partnership with acclaimed FX TV show "Sons of Anarchy," a "Sopranos"-like drama about a motorcycle club, that includes a chance to win airfare and tickets to the band's Seattle show. It will also kick off its upcoming tour by playing the Sturgis motorcycle rally in South Dakota.

"We played Sturgis before, with the Scorpions, and it's like playing 'Mad Max,' " Draiman says. "People sit on their bikes and instead of applauding, they rev their engines." Draiman says he and some of his bandmates are Harley enthusiasts, and refutes the notion that it's odd that a Yeshiva High School graduate likes hauling around on a hog. "There are lots of us in the tribe who ride," he says with a laugh.

After Sturgis, Disturbed will co-headline the Uproar tour with Avenged Sevenfold before heading overseas. Draiman says the band has a strong base in Australia, New Zealand, Germany and Scandinavia despite having a late start abroad.

"We were initially held back in other territories because our first album was on BMG internationally, and because of some label transition issues, [breakthrough single] 'Down With the Sickness' wasn't worked overseas," he says. "But we kept working at it and caught up."

The new tour will also feature some of the most elaborate staging of the band's career, although they're quick to point out that fans expecting a Muse-style laser show will be disappointed. "They will have big screens and videos," Gordon says. "The visuals for the new album were all shot by the same person, and the shot that opens the show ties to the music video, and that ties to the online game."

As a special incentive for fans the band is including the DVD "Decade of Disturbed," a 60-plus-minute documentary chronicling the group's first 10 years, with every album purchase. The disc features concert footage, as well as a section called "Disturbed Dissected," where guitarist Dan Donegan and bassist John Moyer teach fans how to play their songs.

Hot Topic is working with the band to turn select outlets into "Asylum stores," and Gordon says he is working on partnerships with Best Buy, Target and Walmart. Rockstar Energy Drink, one of the sponsors of the Uproar tour, is also hosting a "rock star for a day" contest with Disturbed that will feature posters in Rockstar outlets.

"This is a band with an incredible work ethic," Gordon says. "We can fly them out to do meet-and-greets and they'll talk to people for ages. These guys are not complacent."

Asylum Unleashed

Asylum Unleashed
Loading The Weapon
Kickass article....now time for me to go to work, as its my FRIDAY TODAY!!!!!

Overburdened91

Believer
it wont play for me :(

GuiltyPleasures

GuiltyPleasures
Global Moderator
Great article! I love the positive press the band is getting in advance of Asylum's release.

As for their work ethic...duh? Disturbed has always worked hard to get where they are. They belong there because they put out a quality product and they have never forgotten their fanbase (though I'm no longer in their demographic, it seems. I was when they began LOL).

And haters can kiss my fat Italian-American ass!

Disturbed1forEternity

Disturbed1forEternity
God of the Mind
That's a really cool article, Crow. Very informative.

laurieann131313

laurieann131313
The Animal
awesome.....and i'm at the tail end of their demographic....lol

bassman47

bassman47
Stricken
I love this. I'm just getting more pumped by the day

chasetheguy

chasetheguy
Stupified
i think the reasons some of the album did not sell as much is because of our economy Asylum Guy

Morbid Spawn

Morbid Spawn
One of The Ten Thousand
Dont worry, people pirate Disturbed than go out and buy it becuase they like it so much!

DYLANPCRIDDLE

DYLANPCRIDDLE
One of The Ten Thousand
I WANT AN ASYLUM HOT TOPIC IN MY AREA I WOULD GO TO THAT STORE EVERY DAY NO JOKE!!!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

FacebookTwitterFacebookFacebook

•  

Create a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com