Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

alexling88

alexling88
Inside The Fire
DISTURBED is offering a free download of the title track from its new album, "Asylum", at the band's official web site. The album hits stores on August 31. Singer David Draiman told The Pulse of Radio that while there are some similar themes in the title track and other songs on the disc, he wouldn't call it a concept album. "I think that the time of the concept album has passed in many ways, and I think it's almost extinct in the Internet age," he said. "This potentially could be the very last record that you hear 12 songs from DISTURBED on, in one body of work. It may be that way for a lot of bands, and in fact it's already starting."

from BLABBERMOUTH.net

slamer80

slamer80
Believer
WHAT!?!?!? I hope i haven't misunderstood this. What he just said was that Asylum will be their LAST album?

Overburdened91

Believer
slamer80 wrote:WHAT!?!?!? I hope i haven't misunderstood this. What he just said was that Asylum will be their LAST album?

no...he said "This potentially could be the very last record that you hear 12 songs from DISTURBED on, in one body of work"

slamer80

slamer80
Believer
Yes could you explain this a little more clearly. What i understand so far is that... This is maybe the last time we will see disturbed release 12 songs in one album?

ShockAndAwe

ShockAndAwe
Asylum
It means either there will be more, or less, than 12 songs on the next Disturbed album. OR, any new albums coming out from anyother band.

CrowX

CrowX
Administrator
It Means the album format is dead, and that they plan to release random one-off singles instead of albums from now on - and then the next year you hear them talk about their next album.

LeafyBug

LeafyBug
Stupified
I believe this album was their last album that was under contract with WB. With the next album they can sign with any other label or decide to try to put it out themselves.

PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy
Haunted
from wikipedia

In popular music, a concept album is an album that is "unified by a theme, which can be instrumental, compositional, narrative, or lyrical". Commonly, concept albums tend to incorporate preconceived musical or lyrical ideas rather than being improvised or composed in the studio, with all songs contributing to a single overall theme or unified story. This is in contrast to the practice of an artist or group releasing an album consisting of a number of unconnected (lyrically or otherwise) songs performed by the artist.

so what he said is that possibly the next albums will just be a collection of songs that they've picked out, instead of being united under one main theme

Bound2Fate

Bound2Fate
CrowX wrote: It Means the album format is dead, and that they plan to release random one-off singles instead of albums from now on - and then the next year you hear them talk about their next album.

I hope not. I am an album person. To put out one-off singles, to me is a disgrace. But then again Disturbed don't do concept albums so they could pull it off. None of their albums are concept albums--they are all just a collection of songs. I completely disagree with David on how the concept album is dead...lots of bands still do concept albums, they're just not on the radio and to me David doesn't listen to anything that isn't mainstream or just about mainstream. I'd much rather have a full album than singles here and then. That's the best part of albums--that you have to wait a while for the next album that has its own character. You can see the evolution of that group of artists over time instead of them trying to cater to the singles mentality that the big labels have been promoting over the recent years. I would stop buying music if they were doing one off singles. I see no reason to cater to the ipod mentality that is plaguing the music world today.

PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy
Haunted
he didn't say they will release singles from time to time

read my previous post

and even in the case of Asylum he said:

David Draiman told The Pulse of Radio that while there are some similar themes in the title track and other songs on the disc, he wouldn't call it a concept album

not a concept album....but still an album

slamer80

slamer80
Believer
this is confusing... So this means: "so what he said is that possibly the next albums will just be a collection of songs that they've picked out, instead of being united under one main theme"

this means that they will not stick to metal?

PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy
Haunted
i said theme (like insanity for example), not genre

of course they'll stick to metal

slamer80

slamer80
Believer
Ah, i see. Thank you

moomoo

moomoo
He's talking about the internet age and stuff, it probably means they're thinking about switching entirely to digital (internet-based) distribution instead of releasing CDs.

edit: note it's the concept 'album', not the concept-album.

bassman47

bassman47
Stricken
So what im getting here is possibly Disturbed doing what theyre doing now for Asylum, but on a larger scale? Like, releasing a single every two-three weeks and then compiling them into an album at the end of that?

or

He mentioned it not being just 12 songs BY DISTURBED, so could they be thinking of doing a compilations with other bands? Possibly have a few songs along with... say.. A7X, Stone Sour, Mudvayne, Five Finger DP (ect) and turning that into a HUGE metal album?

slamer80

slamer80
Believer
I hope your right on the first one.

bassman47

bassman47
Stricken
I think we should keep this aside for now. THERES AN ALBUM TO UNLEASH FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOOOOOOT!!

4everDisturbed

4everDisturbed
Inside The Fire
You guys are all thinking way too hard.
slamer80 and others:
When you guys say the upcoming albums are just going to be a collection of songs put together, Thats how albums are made. You go into studio and put ideas together and make a lot of songs. The ones that sound good are narrowed down. And 10-15 that the band felt are the best are produced are released via an album with a title that unifies all the songs. A concept album is an album that works as a story. The listener is intended to listen to the songs in the order they are put on the album. [See "30 Seconds to Mars - This is War" or "Green Day - American Idiot"] David is saying that with this age in internet technology, concept albums are dying off because all the individual songs and singles are getting leaked through limewire, youtube, etc. and the point of a concept album is lost. This doesnt affect Disturbed's music in any major way. He is simply saying that they will take less time choosing the order of the track-listing and how many songs will be on the album (hence the number 12).

Asylum Unleashed

Asylum Unleashed
Loading The Weapon
I am hoping they only stuck with 12 songs only because this album has more 4 minute plus tracks than the previous 4.... that's what i'm hoping. maybe their getting tired of recording extra songs and releasing them as b-sides. i'm sure they chose songs that mesh well together, but i do see other songs that never made it into the albums fitting in well...especial tracks like Run and Hell

PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy
Haunted
4everDisturbed wrote:You guys are all thinking way too hard.
slamer80 and others:
When you guys say the upcoming albums are just going to be a collection of songs put together, Thats how albums are made. You go into studio and put ideas together and make a lot of songs. The ones that sound good are narrowed down. And 10-15 that the band felt are the best are produced are released via an album with a title that unifies all the songs. A concept album is an album that works as a story. The listener is intended to listen to the songs in the order they are put on the album. [See "30 Seconds to Mars - This is War" or "Green Day - American Idiot"] David is saying that with this age in internet technology, concept albums are dying off because all the individual songs and singles are getting leaked through limewire, youtube, etc. and the point of a concept album is lost. This doesnt affect Disturbed's music in any major way. He is simply saying that they will take less time choosing the order of the track-listing and how many songs will be on the album (hence the number 12).

exactly!

Proph3tTroyer

Proph3tTroyer
I think we should stop staring at it like its a double rainbow and questioning "WHAT DOES IT MEAN???"

and ask a better question:

WHY?

PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy
Haunted
theme diversity i'd say

doesn't bother me, as a matter of fact, i'm intrigued

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

FacebookTwitterFacebookFacebook

•  

Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com