Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

mario867

mario867
I posted a while back only hearing the album once that I was disappointed. You guys said I didn't really give it a chance.. I agreed. So now that i have listened to the whole album 32 times (according to itunes) It lacks all the anger Disturbed should have and replaced it with sadness. I guess i should say that musically this CD is awesome. There's no way to argue that. But it was lyrically weak. David has a great singing voice but having multiple songs about relationships is not Disturbed.And writing a song about the holocaust seemed a bit weird to me. Remember the sickness? When there he actually yelled and didnt seem so emotional and sensitive. Every album he shows a sensitive side but he sounds more manly about it. He still had that angry side that barely shows up in this album. It has good songs but its easily my least favorite album they put out. I was talking to my friends about this and I was just wondering if anyone here felt the same. Im still looking forward to their next CD. I have them all and i always felt like i got more then my moneys worth. Asylum wouldnt have had that feeling if it wasnt for Decade of Disturbed.. I know it was free but it definitely added a lot of worth.

In short: David failed lyrically in my opinion. Great voice, great guitar, great drums, pretty good bass(it compliments the songs well but never really sticks out to me) Just the lyrics and lack of anger disappoint me.
thoughts?

CrowX

CrowX
Administrator
I can agree with you to an extent could nickpick things like wish it was a little harder album. Sacrifice should of been an B side in my opinion and old friend should of been on the album. As for the vocals they were top notch as usual got no problem there , Guitar, Bass were excellent as usual and on drums wow this was mike's best drumming in my opinion on a Disturbed Album great job mike. As for lyrics yeah i agree could of been better not as good as previous albums. When it comes to alot of songs about relationships got no problem with that there many types of relationship and problems in them and if you experinced it and dealt with the heartache and everything that goes into them you can understand every relationship song David sings about. You mentioned the anger on The Sickness well there is still anger there just a different kind of anger he is singing about. Still love the album not there best in my opinion but great album overall.

4everDisturbed

4everDisturbed
Inside The Fire
I can agree with your take on asylum. I feel his anger in parts of songs like "Asylum" and in "The Infection" but I feel like it stops there. Personally i think "Leave it Alone" should have made the cut. I feel his anger and emotion in that song and i really like it.

I believe they took their fifth album and 10years in music as a chance to experiment and play what they really wanted to play. That's how i think we got "Never Again" and "My Child" and "Another Way to Die. Good songs but they don't mean much to me while every other disturbed song. has. It just is hard to relate to things that don't mean anything to you such as global warming, the holocaust, losing a child. Serpentine and Innocence are also sketchy-themed songs. I don't like it when songs have very narrow-minded meanings because songs and their lyrics mean a lot to me. The sickness never had that issue. Every song is full of anger and passion without being too specific. So I do love Asylum but I feel like Disturbed did a little too much.

WickedKnightAlbel

WickedKnightAlbel
Dehumanized
Agreed, I miss that atmosphere too. I commend David on being able to show so much vulnerability, but his poetic style lends itself better to cryptic, open-ended subjects.

Don't worry though, his life is looking up these days and he should start writing less dark, more uplifting & triumphant lyrics next time round. I predict something closer to Ten Thousand Fists for album 6 (in my opinion David's happiest album so far).

mario867

mario867
To CrowX:I get the relationship songs and can relate in some ways but its just a bummer to listen to. Disturbed is supposed to be in your face and not just screaming the whole time(and not just singing).. thats what made/makes them unique.
and
they always had more of an uplifting vibe even with songs with sad topics but asylum felt more like "boo hoo lets cry over this" If the music wasnt so damn awesome i would delete like half the album.

To 4everDisturbed: It does start out pretty epic. And I remember an interview with someone from mudvayne saying(while holding a water bottle) "you cant just write a song about this water bottle. Im the only person who really knows this one. but you can write a song about a water bottle so people can actually relate." or something along those lines haha its been a while.

Overburdened91

Believer
i can DEFINITELY agree with the bass not sticking out..it just basically was the exact same as the guitar riffs

third alarm

third alarm
I think Asylum is awesome!
At times I think it may b their best yet, but I have a soft spot for Indestructible and it's just tough to say any of their albums are or will be better than The Sickness.
I agree that as a whole the emotion of Asylum as a whole seems to come from a deep sadness, and that is a bit different than the other releases. And something that I love about Asylum.
The sound and peformance by all members couldn't be any better. Probably Mikey's best performance, David shows more emotion than before, Dan is better with his solos and especially texturing, and John is as always a solid rythym player.
I love the different direction with David's voice in songs like Crucified, Serpentine, Animal, and the Infection. Yes it's different, but just pounding out angry song after angry song gets old album after album. Especially for the creators. That's the beauty of Asylum!
Appreciate guys that can get together and give their all to write inspiring, emotional, agressive music with no outside influence while it's here. The music industry nowadays makes it difficult for bands like Disturbed to continue.
My personal favorite moments are the verses in The Infection, the bridge and chorus of Crucified, and the breakdown in Serpentine(genious).
Raaaah
The Guy

PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy
Haunted
^ i fully agree!

mario867

mario867
Very true third alarm.. Bands do have to change it up but Idk how many of you guys are also linkin park fans but its like when they released minutes to midnight.. I was just like whaaa? It feels like all bands are making sad music and disturbed was always more on the inspirational side.

PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy
Haunted
asylum is still inspirational, to me at least, and i don't think i'm the only one

i like to think that disturbed has songs and albums for every mood - i can listen to indestructible when i'm in a certain mood, and to believe when i'm in another.

i can always find myself in their songs and in this album as well, even though it's less cryptic than the others and it's more straightforward.

and whatever the feel of the next album will be, i'm sure it will speak to me the same way, because Disturbed is one of the very few bands that manage to do that for me.

Dawn_Cato

Dawn_Cato
Global Moderator
I told myself I was not going to post on this thread but talked myself into it. I'm putting my two cents in...
what all of you are saying are very good answerers but here's the problem with most successful bands dilemma when they put out an album that's so great (or albums) they have a tough time toping their greatest hits and so the artist compromises to the best of his/hers ability to produce that New even "greater" album. The timeline (chronology) of David composing the latest album was the outcome.
I mean come on ...what did you expect? I loved the latest album personally...but maybe it's the sign of the times...the band is getting older....and still creative in their own contributing ability to produce the music...I have seen bands go up and down but Disturbed has maintained an even level of success....can't always please everyone with every song

disturbed fan86

disturbed fan86
Warrior
I am expressing my opinion and I think asylum is disturbed's best album they have made yet and that there isn't nothing about asylum that I don't like at all.

GODSERENITY

GODSERENITY
Stupified
MY TURN!!! First of all I would like to point out, every single one of Disturbeds' albums have had songs about relationships. This includes one of the hardest greatest song (in my opinion) Stupify. Dawn you hit the nail right on the head they have so many hits they have to pick and choose which ones they will be playing live. The hard part is, is albums like the sickness are the ones that most of us heard and got us hooked on them. It is the one that we have had the longest and probably have listened to the most. They are attempting to 1up every album, every time. I feel they have done that. However, the things that we are all going through now are probably different that when disturbed first came into our lives. I was in high school when they first appeared and what I am up against now is completely different than what was going on then. Just like Disturbed, they are recording and sharing their lives with us so yes things will be different with each album. But, I don't feel you can make a comparison with Asylum to the Sickness or any album for that matter, because things change. Asylum (again in my opinion) is the best album yet! Davids lyrics are very personal and amazing as usual. Mike really beat the sh*t out of his kit with this one!! He did an awesome job! Dan as usual gives me goosebumbs with his work. And John stood out strong in this one. Mario I don't mean to call you out, but, I don't think you are looking at this the correct way. Davids anger is very much present in Asylum. Just because he is not screaming and swearing doesn't mean he isn't angry. "My Child" about a miscarriage, how angry would you be at the world?? As for Never Again, he had family in the camps, can you imagine the shit they went through and now people are trying to say that it never happened?! Hell no!!! I would be pissed!! Look at it this way, say someone in your family did something truely amazing years ago. Now people are saying that it never happened, wouldn't you be pissed and try and show everyone the truth? I just feel you are looking at it from the sound of is voice rather than what he is saying. But, to each their own Also, on a side note, I think that Leave It Alone should totally have been on the album. I think it could've replaced Another Way To Die the song that I feel doesn't fit the album the same as the rest. Much respect to all you my brothers and sisters

Ravensclaw

Ravensclaw
Administrator
i did like asylum but every time i listen to it im expect that kick that disturbed always had a kind of power in davids voice that seems to scream out what we are all feeling inside most of the time a primal roar that was there on all 4 of there albums but when i listen to asylum and im playing a song like Serpentine you hear the opening and think damn that's a good song then david starts to sing and that roar just was not apparent so the song falls flat and half way through the track i stop wanting to listen all the way through until the end asylum is still a good album but there other works was better

4everDisturbed

4everDisturbed
Inside The Fire
I think what you mean about the Asylum songs -- you used Serpentine as an example -- is very true. However, I disagree. I think Asylum spoke to me with it's powerful lyrics and emotional lyrics. In fact, Serpentine is one of my favorite songs. It really speaks to me. Theres a girl I know who acts just like the evil David sings about. Every time I see her she gives me this look and tries to act like were friends and get with me. She does it to everyone. This song expresses that feeling I get when she looks at me.

TheJoker

TheJoker
I enjoyed asylum but overall i wasent impressed. it just didnt beat me with a crowbar the way there previous albums have. Indestructible and asylum are pretty much on par with eachother on every level, one dosent seem to be able to out-do the other. they both have the same solo style, the music progreses the same throught both albums, the vocals have more effects but there isnt really a change there. one of the things that made disturbed better with every album was that they brought in somthing new with every album. The Sickness was pretty straight forward Nu Metal style, heavy and hard hitting. lots of violent subject matter. Believe was nearly a total reinvention of the band with heavy melodic style music and softer vocals utilizing Davids ability as a singer. TTF was another band reinvention which combind the melodic style with the straight forward Nu Metal style and the addition of tasteful not over done soloing. it encompassed everything from the first two albums while still standing out independent of them, Indestructible stuck with that formula and threw in a shit ton of electronic effect and layering, and copied the same thing with Asylum with more vocal effects and layering, they didnt do much of anything reinventive or new with the last two albums aside from piling on effects and layering them, which isnt hard, Bottom line as i said, i wasent impressed with Asylum.

Monster666

Monster666
Stricken
You want to talk about emotion? The "My Child" song was extremely powerfully full of emotion, to the point I almost felt like crying listening to it. The fact is, as things currently stand, we are never going to get an album like "The Sickness" again. It was a one time deal, or at least that is how it seems thus far. The songs about relationships, I am always a little "eh" on, mostly due to the fact that "relationship songs" are way overplayed in pop music. Asylum though, was one of their best songs of all time, fairly diverse musically and structure wise, and very angry. I prefer Asylum over Believe any day though. Believe musically was pretty lacking and in some ways boring. Goods songs, but if you want "yelling" in songs, Believe is very lacking in that area.

And btw, songs like "Never Again" (an awesome song) and "Another Way To Die" ( AWTD - which I actually didn't like due to it's musical simplicity) are what Disturbed should do MORE of in my opinion. Things that really hit me are ones that have to do with real life, real events. Things of tragedy that I can concentrate on. Much like Device's new song "Out of Line" with Serj.

TheJoker

TheJoker
Well, Believe is my favorite album, But from a musical point of view, Ten Thousend Fists was the top of the Disturbed bell curve.

On an unrelated note, I liked Device allot. Lol I also liked how most of the songs on that album, Lyrically, could easily be put on a new The Sickness style album.

And on another note unrelated to both of those unrelated notes, You all should check out Dan and Mikes side project Fight or Flight. they released the first song. its pretty good, reminds me allot of Asylum musically. it has Evans Blues singer Dan Chandler. Good stuff coming out this year.

Goooood stuff. :)

ShockAndAwe

ShockAndAwe
Asylum
Dan Chandler sucks as a front man in my opinion.  Never liked Evans Blue, I have no idea what Donegan saw in this guy.  Stylistically boring and no vocal range?  Hope to God for an instrumental

TheJoker

TheJoker
I'v Never really been that big of an Evans Blue fan either. a few of their songs caught me by surprise though.

That being said, Most known bands must be doing something right in order to gain a fan base. Evans Blue fans are pretty steadfast in there opinion that EB is one of the best bands out there. Right or wrong, that opinion still holds much weight as your, good sir.

Plus, good ol danny must liked what he heard because Chandler is in the band. Or, maybe Danny is in Chandlers band. O_O

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

FacebookTwitterFacebookFacebook

•  

Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com