Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Nu Rock Is Disturbed Empty Nu Rock Is Disturbed Fri 27 Mar 2009, 17:54

CrowX

CrowX
Administrator
Nu Rock Is Disturbed
By Michael Lopez
Published on March 24, 2009 at 3:35pm
Metal, like any popular genre of music, is one that spreads itself over many different styles. Everyone and their mother is fully aware of the hair-metal craze that swept across the Sunset Strip in the early 1980s, sparked by Quiet Riot's breakthrough success. Bands like Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, and Megadeth have carried the metal torch throughout the decades, sticking to the roots of the music and giving fans the thrash riffs and hoarse vocals that they so crave.

Disturbed
Disturbed

Where:
Jobing.com Arena
Details:
Disturbed is scheduled to perform at the Music as a Weapon Tour on Saturday, March 28.
Subject(s):
Disturbed

Then a funny thing happened in the mid-1990s: Music started to kind of suck. Popular music became watered down with the influx of painfully average boy bands, singer/songwriters, and alternative rock outfits. As a result, the lines of what constitutes a music genre blurred. As far as metal was concerned, this was not a good thing — hell, even the members of Metallica cut their legendary long, flowing locks. America was primed for a watered-down musical revolution, and bands like Korn, Limp Bizkit, and P.O.D. were ready to swoop in shove their brand of "metal" down everyone's throats, whether we liked it or not. With them came a new genre, the appropriately named "nu metal." The new style was all the rage, with albums selling like hotcakes, tours selling out regularly, and videos infiltrating MTV's Total Request Live.

For those who knew members of nu metal bands before they hit it big, the nu metal craze did not come as a shock. The bands had to make ends meet before their sound hit radio airwaves, working a normal 9-to-5 job like any responsible adult. But that didn't mean they didn't have the spirit of nu-ness. For example, members of Chicago rockers Disturbed often worked in the food-service industry, and made everything they dealt with nu.

"Oh, man, Dave [Draiman, lead singer of Disturbed] would always take people's orders in this low, growling voice and he often beatboxed or rapped the day's specials," says Chicago Applebee's manager Steve Trufork. "His buddy Dan [Donegan, lead guitarist] would always bring his own spices and other additives to work in the kitchen, often putting some raisins into someone's clam chowder or some hot sauce on top of a customer's sundae."

Trufork sounded less than pleased when he recounted his experience employing the nu metal rockers. "Why did those guys feel the need to mess with a perfectly good thing like an ice cream sundae or a nice bowl of soup like that?" he angrily asked.

Trufork later told me that word had gotten out, and restaurants in Cleveland, Orlando, and Los Angeles started seeing the same thing happen. Apparently, much of the customer base didn't mind the quirky changes to the menu items. Some people actually preferred an out-of-place piece of chocolate in their nacho plates or their waiter rapping the entire dessert menu, which only encouraged the growth of this odd little practice.

As life often imitates art, the members of Disturbed signed a record deal, quit their jobs at Applebee's, and started recording multi-platinum albums. This time, however, the band was able to put their own little twist on metal music and not a plate of chicken wings.

2Nu Rock Is Disturbed Empty Re: Nu Rock Is Disturbed Fri 27 Mar 2009, 21:28

beautifullydisturbed

beautifullydisturbed
Believer
Thanks for posting this Crow I will be at the AZ show tomorrow and I will let everyone know how it went.

3Nu Rock Is Disturbed Empty Re: Nu Rock Is Disturbed Fri 27 Mar 2009, 21:54

Ravensclaw

Ravensclaw
Administrator
its so typical of critics there never happy some want the same old shit and when they do the same old thing the critics complain well who gives fuck about them all that matters is the fans the band knows this that the only opion that matters is the fans the critics can fuck off

4Nu Rock Is Disturbed Empty Re: Nu Rock Is Disturbed Fri 27 Mar 2009, 23:28

Morbid Spawn

Morbid Spawn
One of The Ten Thousand
Fuck yeah Raven u hit the nail on the head

5Nu Rock Is Disturbed Empty Re: Nu Rock Is Disturbed Wed 23 Sep 2009, 22:24

S.M.F

S.M.F
Eye of the Storm
Thats cool. Rapping the day's specials and beatboxing for the customers. I completly agree with you Raven, they just don't want anything different than it is now.

6Nu Rock Is Disturbed Empty Re: Nu Rock Is Disturbed Wed 23 Sep 2009, 22:38

DYLANPCRIDDLE

DYLANPCRIDDLE
One of The Ten Thousand
DUDE, I WORK AT APPLEBEES!

But i thought David worked for a health care company? And if i did this stuff at my job they'd kill me. The managers there hate incorrect orders.

7Nu Rock Is Disturbed Empty Re: Nu Rock Is Disturbed Wed 23 Sep 2009, 22:54

S.M.F

S.M.F
Eye of the Storm
Shit. Maybe David and Dan were nearly fired half a million times. lol! But they said people actually liked the stuff they did.

8Nu Rock Is Disturbed Empty Re: Nu Rock Is Disturbed Wed 23 Sep 2009, 22:57

DYLANPCRIDDLE

DYLANPCRIDDLE
One of The Ten Thousand
wouldnt surprise me, although im sure hot sauce on a sunday would make ppl angry.

9Nu Rock Is Disturbed Empty Re: Nu Rock Is Disturbed Thu 24 Sep 2009, 01:34

LadyCorruption

Warrior
rapping? I never knew either that David or Dan worked at applebees. He did work as a Health Care Administrator. And he didnt even meet Dan until the ad in the paper looking for a singer. He also said while working in his office hed mail letters and shit. But rapping at an applebees? and plus when I go to applebees I don't go to a counter. I have a waiter or waitress. I think something is up.

10Nu Rock Is Disturbed Empty Re: Nu Rock Is Disturbed Thu 24 Sep 2009, 08:20

S.M.F

S.M.F
Eye of the Storm
IDK? Maybe he rapped when he came to your table.

11Nu Rock Is Disturbed Empty Re: Nu Rock Is Disturbed Thu 24 Sep 2009, 09:42

Hoemmed

Hoemmed
Dehumanized
If someone says that disturbed is nu-metal.

Respond:

"Nu metal is rapping and metal, show me the part where disturbed is rapping? Just like i taught..."

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

FacebookTwitterFacebookFacebook

•  

Free forums hosting | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com