Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

13 years ago yesterday Empty 3 years ago yesterday Sat 04 Jun 2011, 14:24

disturbedsikkness

disturbedsikkness
Believer
I forgot to post this yesterday, so I'll just post it now... Yesterday was the third anniversary of the release of Indestructible. So I figured I'd take this moment to tell y'all what the album means to me, and then you can do the same.

I'm going to type it up in a quick reply because of the black box issue; I hate typing blind, especially when I feel like I'm making typos.

23 years ago yesterday Empty Re: 3 years ago yesterday Sat 04 Jun 2011, 15:06

disturbedsikkness

disturbedsikkness
Believer
To me, Indestructible is one of Disturbed's best albums. It took the brawn of Ten Thousand Fists, and added more brawn to it, while erasing the fun-like feeling (I can't really describe it any better) that was on TTF with even more brawn. In other words, it was incredibly fucking powerful. One thing I've always thought Disturbed lacked was subtlety and (not always, but since TTF) randomness, and I haven't necessarily liked that, but Indestructible is the epitome of it; a focused, angry metal monster.

Being a strong supporter of our troops (having a stepfather in the military currently), Indestructible the song made me incredibly happy. I'm kind of debating going into the military myself as a career officer of the USMC if I can ever get that chance, so I also kind of feel like this song is written for me. It's incredible, and I understand why it's the title track.

Inside the Fire probably means the most to me, though. Ever since I heard it on radio, it was stuck in my head. I HAD to buy it on iTunes after that, and then when it came out, the entire album. I have never regretted that; Inside the Fire remains, in my opinion, Disturbed's most powerful song, ever. It is incredibly written, features some amazing technical shit (like the bridge and then solo, which is a true solo in this case, as Dan's not playing over the other instruments for a portion). It's also really the first song that got me to pay attention to Disturbed instrumentally, as opposed to just general vibe and vocals. Ever since this song, I've loved Mike's drum lines, and Danny's been probably my favorite guitarist/composer in the business. Honestly, things like Inside the Fire's guitar solo inspired me to pick up the instrument myself. Can't praise this song enough.

Deceiver... Where to start? This song never really grew on me THAT much, but I've learned to appreciate it for a few reasons. One, it is, guitar-wise, probably one of Indestructible's toughest and most unique songs. There's little distortion, and the way Dan plays the riff makes it incredibly tiring. I also do like the subject matter, but it's one of the reasons it failed to grow on me: It's a bit cliched in my opinion. David writes one too many songs about ex-girlfriends, and it's just done better already on this album (Inside the Fire). David's staccato vocal delivery for the verses just can't be beat, though (Another vampire, getting a fix f-rom SUCKING up my liiiiiife! AWWWUGGGH! I KNOW NOW!). Good shit, man!

The Night is another Inside the Fire song to me. This one attracts me so because it speaks so seemingly vaguely about a powerful force setting you free. Sure, the song is actually about the night. But ever since I heard it, it's never been that to me. It's always been about something tangible and real. That's what's incredibly powerful about it, along with the truly unique and REALLY atmospheric instrumentals that I personally think are the best Disturbed has ever done. They always talk about dark, but seldom do I get a truly "dark" vibe from them. This song may be encouraging, but I got that dark vibe from it. Still do, to this day.

Perfect Insanity obviously means the world to me, too. Such a throwback track to old times, and I can hear the age of it each time I listen, but I can also hear the brand new (in 2008...still new to me) touches that make it truly great. I honestly think, as with many of these songs, Indestructible would have been SERIOUSLY lacking without this song. Sure, the album's got some power rockers like Indestructible and The Night, but Perfect Insanity is the one of the only songs on the album that I get a true, serious metal vibe from (Divide being the other, perhaps not ironically).

Haunted is incredible. It's kind of like Deceiver with those spitfire staccato vocals, but also not quite, because it's just a little bit more powerful in the verbal imagery, in my opinion. For some reason this song always makes me think of fire. I don't know why, but that's cool. Also, of note is that I absolutely HATE the pace of the song, actually. In my opinion, it starts out too slowly with those stormy sounds and the church bells, then finally picks up into a fury. But then it shortly slows down again with the spoken-word bridge, which I mean, I think it's cool, but not listenable. It really slows down the pace of the song and messes with the track to me. That's of note, but it's still a killer song for the parts I love of it.

What always strikes me about Enough is how tribal it feels. This is just thanks to Mike's drumming. For some reason it just feels really tribal in this song, and not much else about the song REALLY sticks out to me other than that. The chorus of the song IS powerful, vocally, and that means quite a bit to me. But for me, the drumming just dominates this song.

The Curse! The Curse! The Curse! More spitfire staccato vocals, but an extremely powerful, encouraging chorus. I don't know, man. Not much more to say. Incredibly powerful, but also pretty formulaic for Disturbed. Pretty much anything I've already said could be applied to this song too. It's good, but I don't like repeating myself lol

Torn is a song I wanted to touch on, too. This was always such a break of pace for me on this album. At first I didn't like it. But now I do. The vocals are actually somewhat buried instead of front-and-center, and the vibe is really sad and sobering, like quite a few of the songs on Asylum, except a bit a more bold. The instruments are great here, especially Dan, whose guitar solo in this song is I think the best he's ever ever everrrrr done (a reason alone to listen to this tune).

Criminal is also incredibly powerful, and one of Indestructible's "hero moment" songs, in my opinion. It's successfully fused to gravity of songs like Inside the Fire and Indestructible with a bit of light-heartedness. Yes, I said the song is a bit light-hearted. I'm not exactly sure how, to be honest. But I don't get a completely dark vibe whenever I listen; there's a puffy little ball of light there to greet me as well. The chorus is by far the best part for me.

Divide! Divide! Divide! Divide! This song also has tangible light-heartedness to it, but I know where it comes from. Every song written by Disturbed during or before The Sickness has this vibe. All of their music back then obviously didn't take itself completely seriously, and there was always this over-the-top tongue-in-cheek thing going on. It was tangible then, and it's tangible here. It's also something that's completely missing from most of modern Disturbed; they take themselves too seriously for the most part. All that said, I love this song. I love the meaning of the lyrics, I love the instrumentals, I love the vocals, I love the light-heart, and I love the overall vibe. Big Disturbed A+ from me, and this song means a lot.

Façade, kind of like Avarice, has always struck me as a weird closer. I honestly don't like the lack of power here. For me, this song is diminished. I enjoy it for what it is, but it honestly falls into this song structure pattern that quickly turns dull, with a kind of boring emphasis on electronics, as well as some weird vocal lines in my opinion. It's regrettably an overall mediocre closer to me; the only song on Indestructible I feel SHOULD have been replaced by a b-side (like Run or Parasite).

Parasite is worth probably the most to me of any song on this album. Tracking down the Inside the Fire single also yielded to me the info that this song existed, and after tracking that down too, I now had three Indestructible songs to enjoy before its release. However, Parasite quickly tallied up the biggest listen count of the three songs, topping 500 full listens before Indestructible was released. That's incredible for me, because I usually tire of songs if I listen to them 500 times in a month, but Parasite kept stealing the show. I don't even know what about it made it so striking to me; that's the weird part.

Run is another song I've always felt was kind of samey. It's pretty much a good example of all of Indestructible in its general vibe and lyrics, but I feel like it's just lacking the ability to truly use any of that. I don't know why. Maybe because it's just a little too brief; maybe because I was getting sick of the sound by the time I dug up this song? I don't know.

Anyways, yeah, this has been what Indestructible means to me as an album and as a collection of songs. Please, feel free to post yours!

33 years ago yesterday Empty Re: 3 years ago yesterday Sat 04 Jun 2011, 16:38

Disturbed1forEternity

Disturbed1forEternity
God of the Mind
Indestructible is really the album that got me started listening to Disturbed. The Sickness really didn't appeal to me when it first came out. Indestructible is the album that spoke to me and opened me up to the POWER of Metal.

43 years ago yesterday Empty Re: 3 years ago yesterday Sat 04 Jun 2011, 17:39

GuiltyPleasures

GuiltyPleasures
Global Moderator
Though The Sickness was how I got interested in Disturbed, it was Believe that got me hooked... it came in a difficult period in my life (that just got more difficult before it got better) and the songs spoke to me like no other artist's have. Each album since then has only reinforced this.

53 years ago yesterday Empty Re: 3 years ago yesterday Sat 04 Jun 2011, 18:22

disturbedsikkness

disturbedsikkness
Believer
@GuiltyPleasures (sorry, I would quote you, but the black box issue...) : That's pretty much how it is for me too. Except I was casual up until Indestructible. Bought The Sickness but wasn't the most impressed with it. Same with Believe and Ten Thousand Fists. But something about Inside the Fire awakened me to this band and made me a true fan, opposed to a casual.

63 years ago yesterday Empty Re: 3 years ago yesterday Fri 02 Dec 2011, 22:09

bassman47

bassman47
Stricken
Not gonna do a song by song analysis but I will say this.

Indistructible is quite possibly my favourite album ever. It was the first album that I downloaded and then made the effort to go out and purchase it just because. It was the first album I listened to after getting out of the hospital and it is also part of my first tattoo.

I wont go too in depth, but I have worn this record into the ground and everytime I look at it and think, "damn this things so beat up, how will it ever play?" It sounds just as clear as the day I bought it, proving it to be, Indistructible.

73 years ago yesterday Empty Re: 3 years ago yesterday Sat 03 Dec 2011, 07:07

Ravensclaw

Ravensclaw
Administrator
everyone has their favorite for instance mine is TTF disturbed have never done a bad album i have enjoyed all of their work including the lost children b-sides and im guessing that all the band members are chomping at the bit right now to wanna go back into the studio we just have to be patient i think its really at this point to do with the industry if they cant promote a future release as well as before due to cuts in staff and money then the album would not do as well so i think they are waiting for things to get better to pick up then they will be back

83 years ago yesterday Empty Re: 3 years ago yesterday Sun 04 Dec 2011, 02:04

4everDisturbed

4everDisturbed
Inside The Fire
I love your song-by-song review. I agree on your thoughts :P
Indestructible really represented what disturbed wanted it too. It was a symbol that Disturbed wasn't going anywhere. Saying "were still fucking here" to the metal world. It did that. With hits like Inside the Fire, Disturbed showed maturity and consistency. They were powerful and edgy and meaningful. This album means a lot to me because When I first started working out with my dad and brother, we used this as our workout cd for many months. It always made me feel strong and that I could do anything. Disturbed is the one artists that doesn't get worn out by me. Ive listened to all 81 of their songs many times and still come back for more.

93 years ago yesterday Empty Re: 3 years ago yesterday Mon 05 Dec 2011, 17:09

GonzaloAndresMC

GonzaloAndresMC
Personally, i started listening Disturbed around 2006, in spite that i knew a couple songs. Indestructible was the first album that i expected to be released, i waited for it the whole year, and i had the luck of had friends who also expected it. I remember listening Inside The Fire the day that it came out, and with the radio guy speaking on the top of the song haha, and when somebody on Youtube uploaded 30 seconds samples. I was so in love with Parasite.

103 years ago yesterday Empty Re: 3 years ago yesterday Wed 07 Dec 2011, 20:16

Forstyrret

Forstyrret
Stupified
Indestructible, worst album.
Not saying it's bad, not at all, its incredible but still nothing compared to the others, does that make sense? ^o)

113 years ago yesterday Empty Re: 3 years ago yesterday Sat 17 Dec 2011, 21:07

Yumiyuri

Yumiyuri
Immortalized
^ might have to disagree with you.

Two years ago, during my third year of High School, my ex introduced me to Disturbed through Down With the Sickness. We broke up soon afterward, but Disturbed already left their mark on me. Indestructible was the very first album I owned, as it was the only Disturbed album that sold here. For me, buying my very first Disturbed album is my "rite of passage" so to speak, my mark that I am a Disturbed One.

Sure, it could've been the same with any other Disturbed album, but Indestructible blew me away. That album spoke to me far deeper than the other albums (though I do love them all, I can't really pinpoint which for me was the worst), and has given me inner strength when I needed it. It was Indestructible that drove me to write my first musical that featured Disturbed songs, and though my favorite song of the lot of Disturbed songs is Believe, I'd have to say a number of songs from Indestructible comes close second. Also, it's the album that really drove me to take up electric guitar.

Just my two cents :)

123 years ago yesterday Empty Re: 3 years ago yesterday Sun 18 Dec 2011, 00:46

disturbedsikkness

disturbedsikkness
Believer
It's crazy to me how much has happened since this album came out. I remember anticipating the shit out of it, and then buying it, and it doesn't seem like it was that long ago....a few months maybe. And yet Asylum is already a year and some months old, with Indestructible going on four years old. That's fucking batshit. People saying it's changed lives and perspectives and talking in the long term, my brain just can't comprehend it. To me, this album still seems new. I don't know why. But it's crazy how fast time has gone by and how much has happened, and the impact it's had.

133 years ago yesterday Empty Re: 3 years ago yesterday Sun 18 Dec 2011, 11:20

Yumiyuri

Yumiyuri
Immortalized
My only regret is that I didn't know about Disturbed sooner xD But what's done is done, and hell, I'm not regretting this ever :)

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

FacebookTwitterFacebookFacebook

•  

Make a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com