Who else is somewhat disappointed?


You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Sun 11 Jul 2010, 01:19

I'd like to see topics covered in the Sickness looked at again...
a. Individuality v Conformism (i.e Fear/Divide (originally sickness))
b. "Mother Culture" v Sub-culture (Sickness/Welcome Burden)
c. Racism (Stupify)
d. Insanity (Not petty relationship bs, but stuff like Voices or Perfect Insanity)

Need I say more?


Indestructible looked at these points, with two songs originally to be on the Sickness... Not enough...

Who else would like to see a return to these themes? At least one or two pieces of new material?

These topics are what made me fall in love with Disturbed, and it breaks ones heart to see them abandoned.

View user profile

2 Re: Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Sun 11 Jul 2010, 01:48

Smitk1592

avatar
Down With the Sickness
who cares, lets go asylum woot woot!

View user profile

3 Re: Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Sun 11 Jul 2010, 03:09

If they have already covered the topics... whats the point of going back and doing them again? Thats like watching the same movie again just because the name of the movie changed. Disturbed already said they arent trying to make another song that relates to any of their old material. And insanity is a part of the title track "Asylum". "Losing a lost loved one, and it drives you do the brink if insanity."

View user profile

4 Re: Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Sun 11 Jul 2010, 03:38

Smitk1592

avatar
Down With the Sickness
kay we know you are new and all but seriously, everyone else wants a brand new disturbed experience! Sorry to shit on your taco stand man.

View user profile

5 Re: Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Sun 11 Jul 2010, 04:25

Disturbed1ForLife25

avatar
Loading The Weapon
They always come up with new stuff. They never repeat themselves, sooooo i don't get it. I am NEVER disappointed with them, ever....They always bring the hardest, more realistic, actual life problems in all their songs, they always make the most up lifting songs to get you pumped no matter the situation or occasion. What they do, not only are they the best at making music, but they know what we want to here, there is IMO no other band that can do that.

View user profile

6 Re: Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Sun 11 Jul 2010, 05:06

PoisonIvy

avatar
Haunted
Disturbed1ForLife25 wrote:They always come up with new stuff. They never repeat themselves, sooooo i don't get it. I am NEVER disappointed with them, ever....They always bring the hardest, more realistic, actual life problems in all their songs, they always make the most up lifting songs to get you pumped no matter the situation or occasion. What they do, not only are they the best at making music, but they know what we want to here, there is IMO no other band that can do that.

you said it perfectly !


If a band goes back to what it used to do, people say they're repeating themselves. If they do new stuff, people say their work is not the way it used to be. That's tiring, i don't understand why we can't be happy with what is given to us.


I've never complained and I've never had anything bad to say about Disturbed and I never will, because they've always done their job perfectly and I know they do their best and put their whole hearts into their work.

View user profile

7 Re: Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Sun 11 Jul 2010, 06:45

What I see come from you all is mindless fandom

Disturbed peaked my interest with poetic, fully structured songs with a meaning which few had touched upon in 2001.

None have touched upon them since, especially with the poetic structures.

When people ask me who my favorite band is, I say I don't have one. I have a favorite poet: David Draiman.

What I see from Another Way to Die, and Ten Thousand Fists for examples, are not poems. They're songs. They depart from what Disturbed made themselves deserving of attention in my mind.

Inside the Fire also breaks poetic structures seen in previous records.

All I'd like to see, is less of this relationship garbage and more poetic, hard hitting, metaphoric songs such as what is on The Sickness... and less blind acceptance of whatever they put down from their fans.

View user profile

8 Re: Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Sun 11 Jul 2010, 10:21

Disturbed1ForLife25

avatar
Loading The Weapon
Proph3tTroyer wrote:What I see come from you all is mindless fandom

Disturbed peaked my interest with poetic, fully structured songs with a meaning which few had touched upon in 2001.

None have touched upon them since, especially with the poetic structures.

When people ask me who my favorite band is, I say I don't have one. I have a favorite poet: David Draiman.

What I see from Another Way to Die, and Ten Thousand Fists for examples, are not poems. They're songs. They depart from what Disturbed made themselves deserving of attention in my mind.

Inside the Fire also breaks poetic structures seen in previous records.

All I'd like to see, is less of this relationship garbage and more poetic, hard hitting, metaphoric songs such as what is on The Sickness... and less blind acceptance of whatever they put down from their fans.
Mindless fandom? Haha i think you need to think about stuff your gonna say before you say it, mindless fandom? What are they leaving the music business soon? How do you know what they will make in the future, it's not like this is it for them, they are touching on new topics, yes let's have them go back to topics they already covered :rolls eyes: See people question them, and the same always happens, they pretty much get their mouths shut after the album comes out. What their not poetic anymore? You haven't even heard the album haha. I mean you have your opinion but bashing Disturbed? You should just leave and go sit in a corner for a little bit Anyone

View user profile

9 Re: Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Sun 11 Jul 2010, 10:50

Asylum Unleashed

avatar
Loading The Weapon
Disturbed will always be Disturbed! No matter how you look at them, ultimately it's up to the band and its up to David to put out the lyrics, ultimately....if he wishes to go down a different path then how we're used to, then it's his choice. Nothing you guys or me for that fact cannot change anything or keep it the way it is now. Your either a true fan of the band or not. That's what really matters.

It's true a lot of us question the choice of Another way To Die as their first single. It's not ground breaking or anything fantastic, but they put it out because of what's happening right now at this very moment. The song doesn't come close to being in my top 20 best of them, but in my opinion the choice to put out that song was a very smart move. Look at the ratings on the charts, look at the download numbers the song got in a short amount of time, the publicity it got on radio, especially satellite radio. That song is doing good not because it's a great song, it's good....but it's success has to do with US! The fans of Disturbed.......we push the band like a viral machine and made other people who don't know the band and made people who care about the world watch the lyric video and made others download the song. It should be a song that hits home with everybody, a song that unites us in times of frustration and sorrow and anger.

Judge the sound of the song or the lyrics they provide if you wish....when it comes down to it all...it's either you are a disturbed 1 or your not! As for me, as long as David takes care of his voice and gets it closer to his original form with training, I for one have nothing to complain about!

We all are right and wrong, perhaps we should listen to the songs we don't like more often, and try to understand their meanings just a bit more.....maybe opinions will change or not.....your call! Just my thoughts.... :)

View user profile

10 Re: Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Sun 11 Jul 2010, 13:11

Smitk1592

avatar
Down With the Sickness
guess what Prophet, I just had greasy diarrhea all over your taco stand. I think the night clearly is a poetic masterpiece.

View user profile

11 Re: Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Sun 11 Jul 2010, 15:10

Bound2Fate

avatar
Moderator
Asylum Unleashed wrote:

Judge the sound of the song or the lyrics they provide if you wish....when it comes down to it all...it's either you are a disturbed 1 or your not! As for me, as long as David takes care of his voice and gets it closer to his original form with training, I for one have nothing to complain about!

We all are right and wrong, perhaps we should listen to the songs we don't like more often, and try to understand their meanings just a bit more.....maybe opinions will change or not.....your call! Just my thoughts.... :)

I think being able to criticize your favorite band is a sign of a better fan than to just accept anything they put out. We all have albums that we hold up as their unsurpassable best--mine being Believe with each album after not having the same impact as the previous. But at the same time, I don't want a part two of any album. I also don't want them to cater to their fans. I think bands and artists should write what they want regardless of the sentiments of their fans. Catering to the fans will only lead them to mediocrity despite the idea that the "fans helped get them where they are." Now, the best bands change over time and don't play the same thing over and over again. In my opinion, Disturbed changed the most between the Sickness and Believe, but after that I haven't seen as much of an evolution other than the inclusion of solos. So I'm hoping with Asylum, they push themselves into other directions again.



[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
View user profile

12 Re: Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Sun 11 Jul 2010, 16:11

GuiltyPleasures

avatar
Global Moderator
If I could just add my two cents in here, I'd like to say this:

I've been listening to music, in several different genres, my entire life. I've been a fan of bands that no longer exist, but their music lives on. I've been a fan of bands that other people think truly suck (Creed and Nickelback, anyone?); I've been a fan of bands, who, for whatever reason, failed to keep my interest (Van Halen and their revolving door of lead singers); HOWEVER-- Disturbed is the ONLY band I've ever been a fan of that I've looked forward with anticipation to every album, from Believe onward, that they produce. They are the only band that I've ever listened to every single song on a CD the first time I listen to it. They are the only band who made a personnel change and didn't go downhill afterwards--they only got better. The songs, damn near all of them, have spoken to me, on some level, at one time or another in the last ten years. David is an incredible songwriter, and has the intelligence and the foresight to introduce fans to new ideas, new themes, new subjects through his words. The music backs him up time and again. If Disturbed were to lose either David or Danny, the band would never be the same, because those two especially are the driving force, while Mike and John (and Fuzz before him) lay down an incredible rhythm I've not heard from any other band in any genre.

I'm not some mindless teenage fangirl. I'm a grown woman in her forties who has seen a lot and heard a lot of music, and with each album, has found that Disturbed has, indeed, matured... even if some in their audience have not. I have never been disappointed with anything this band puts out, and don't anticipate I will be with Asylum. If anything, I'll be forced to deal with issues that have affected me personally through David's lyrics, and that I welcome with open arms.

And that's all I have to say.



Your Humble Global Moderator,
 
 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
 
Gonna fight the war and use my music as a weapon
 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
View user profile

13 Re: Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Sun 11 Jul 2010, 16:28

Asylum Unleashed

avatar
Loading The Weapon
Bound2Fate wrote:
Asylum Unleashed wrote:

Judge the sound of the song or the lyrics they provide if you wish....when it comes down to it all...it's either you are a disturbed 1 or your not! As for me, as long as David takes care of his voice and gets it closer to his original form with training, I for one have nothing to complain about!

We all are right and wrong, perhaps we should listen to the songs we don't like more often, and try to understand their meanings just a bit more.....maybe opinions will change or not.....your call! Just my thoughts.... :)

I think being able to criticize your favorite band is a sign of a better fan than to just accept anything they put out. We all have albums that we hold up as their unsurpassable best--mine being Believe with each album after not having the same impact as the previous. But at the same time, I don't want a part two of any album. I also don't want them to cater to their fans. I think bands and artists should write what they want regardless of the sentiments of their fans. Catering to the fans will only lead them to mediocrity despite the idea that the "fans helped get them where they are." Now, the best bands change over time and don't play the same thing over and over again. In my opinion, Disturbed changed the most between the Sickness and Believe, but after that I haven't seen as much of an evolution other than the inclusion of solos. So I'm hoping with Asylum, they push themselves into other directions again.
I can definitely respect that. Believe is also my favorite album by far. I also agree that the next two albums never quite reached the level of Believe but when I said that the fans helped them get to where they're at, I was just using Another Way to Die as an example, not their albums or entire career. I really meant to say that a semi-decent another way to die is only as big as what we really make it out to be, love it or hate it, the single is doing quite well.

View user profile

14 Re: Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Mon 12 Jul 2010, 11:03

Bound2Fate wrote:
Asylum Unleashed wrote:

Judge the sound of the song or the lyrics they provide if you wish....when it comes down to it all...it's either you are a disturbed 1 or your not! As for me, as long as David takes care of his voice and gets it closer to his original form with training, I for one have nothing to complain about!

We all are right and wrong, perhaps we should listen to the songs we don't like more often, and try to understand their meanings just a bit more.....maybe opinions will change or not.....your call! Just my thoughts.... :)

I think being able to criticize your favorite band is a sign of a better fan than to just accept anything they put out. We all have albums that we hold up as their unsurpassable best--mine being Believe with each album after not having the same impact as the previous. But at the same time, I don't want a part two of any album. I also don't want them to cater to their fans. I think bands and artists should write what they want regardless of the sentiments of their fans. Catering to the fans will only lead them to mediocrity despite the idea that the "fans helped get them where they are." Now, the best bands change over time and don't play the same thing over and over again. In my opinion, Disturbed changed the most between the Sickness and Believe, but after that I haven't seen as much of an evolution other than the inclusion of solos. So I'm hoping with Asylum, they push themselves into other directions again.


Definitely one of the most respectable and thought out none-12-year-old response I've seen in this post thus far.

Yes, a new direction is fine. I'd like to see that, but I'd also like to see one or two songs focusing on the original theme which really put Disturbed on the map.

Furthermore, does Disturbed not consistently have powerful poetic styling? The Night is amazing. Most of Believe falls in this category.

However we see it less and less. Ten Thousand Fists is my least favorite album simply because it contains the least amount of songs in this category. Pain Redefined is one of the few that do. Indestructible had many great 'songs' but not very many great 'poems' like Sickness and Believe.

These things make Disturbed, Disturbed. That original theme makes them Disturbed, in name and in adjective. I'm looking for something which could literally disturb someone if that person is unfamiliar with the topic or feels its taboo. Inside the Fire. Great idea. Disturbing, possibly... but it was poorly executed. Makes a sad Proph3tTroyer.





Last edited by Proph3tTroyer on Mon 12 Jul 2010, 11:08; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

15 Re: Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Mon 12 Jul 2010, 11:07

GuiltyPleasures wrote:If I could just add my two cents in here, I'd like to say this:

I've been listening to music, in several different genres, my entire life. I've been a fan of bands that no longer exist, but their music lives on. I've been a fan of bands that other people think truly suck (Creed and Nickelback, anyone?); I've been a fan of bands, who, for whatever reason, failed to keep my interest (Van Halen and their revolving door of lead singers); HOWEVER-- Disturbed is the ONLY band I've ever been a fan of that I've looked forward with anticipation to every album, from Believe onward, that they produce. They are the only band that I've ever listened to every single song on a CD the first time I listen to it. They are the only band who made a personnel change and didn't go downhill afterwards--they only got better. The songs, damn near all of them, have spoken to me, on some level, at one time or another in the last ten years. David is an incredible songwriter, and has the intelligence and the foresight to introduce fans to new ideas, new themes, new subjects through his words. The music backs him up time and again. If Disturbed were to lose either David or Danny, the band would never be the same, because those two especially are the driving force, while Mike and John (and Fuzz before him) lay down an incredible rhythm I've not heard from any other band in any genre.

I'm not some mindless teenage fangirl. I'm a grown woman in her forties who has seen a lot and heard a lot of music, and with each album, has found that Disturbed has, indeed, matured... even if some in their audience have not. I have never been disappointed with anything this band puts out, and don't anticipate I will be with Asylum. If anything, I'll be forced to deal with issues that have affected me personally through David's lyrics, and that I welcome with open arms.

And that's all I have to say.

I also respect your response.

While I have not taken a song and cast it away, never to hear it again willingly, it doesn't mean I don't have a distaste for it...

I like the songs which speak to me. Which can find a meaning other than the one the band presents. Pain Redefined gives me a completely different thought process then one would anticipate with the band's intended meaning. The Night, when I first heard it I thought it was about drug addiction. That is poetry. Creating multiple meanings, different for everyone. Inside the Fire, Another Way to Die, Indestructible, all lack this.

View user profile

16 Re: Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Mon 12 Jul 2010, 11:27

Morbid Spawn

avatar
One of The Ten Thousand
Guys, A friendly discussion is ok, the bad remarks and fail attempts at making fun of each other ISN'T . If you cant have a freindly argument this topic is not for you, leave.

Smitk1592 that means you.

Read the rules please.

Disturbed Asylum

View user profile

17 Re: Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Mon 12 Jul 2010, 11:48

Morbid Spawn wrote:Guys, A friendly discussion is ok, the bad remarks and fail attempts at making fun of each other ISN'T . If you cant have a freindly argument this topic is not for you, leave.

Smitk1592 that means you.

Read the rules please.

Disturbed Asylum

Thank you ^_^

View user profile

18 Re: Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Mon 12 Jul 2010, 13:04

4everDisturbed

avatar
Inside The Fire
I actually see a really good point to this topic. While it seems that most if not all of you guys love the new direction disturbed makes i would like to see a song or two back to their core. Proph3tTroyer, i totally see where your coming from. I still listen to The Sickness. I think its one of the greatest albums to workout to :S but if disturbed decided to make a song with a theme similar to one from the sickness, it doesnt mean they are repeating themselves? the lyrics and sound will change because it always does. Its just a thought. I love disturbed growth and new direction.

@GuiltyPleasures
Jeez you are so right. I know i like a band when i can pick up an album an seriously like every song on it. Thats how i am with disturbed. I honestly have no least favorite song. They all mean something.

View user profile

19 Re: Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Thu 15 Jul 2010, 22:25

In terms of sound, I think I have faith again, with that release of Asylum
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]



Last edited by Proph3tTroyer on Thu 15 Jul 2010, 22:45; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

20 Re: Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Thu 15 Jul 2010, 22:40

4everDisturbed

avatar
Inside The Fire
Oh man i love asylum. it has the dark, aggressive feel from the sickness but it also has the melody from the other albums.

View user profile

21 Re: Who else is somewhat disappointed? on Fri 16 Jul 2010, 02:28

Smitk1592

avatar
Down With the Sickness
Morbid Spawn wrote:Guys, A friendly discussion is ok, the bad remarks and fail attempts at making fun of each other ISN'T . If you cant have a freindly argument this topic is not for you, leave.

Smitk1592 that means you.

Read the rules please.

Disturbed Asylum



haha, my apologies. I got carried away

View user profile

Sponsored content


View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

FacebookTwitterFacebookFacebook

 
  •  

Forum create on Forumotion | © PunBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum