Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 17 of 21]

Disturbed1forEternity

Disturbed1forEternity
God of the Mind
INSANITY!!!! BUT IT LOVE IT!!!!!

GuiltyPleasures

GuiltyPleasures
Global Moderator
Holy Mother of God, did this just get to NINE FUCKING PAGES?!?!?!

Considering that the actual manuscript is over 400 pages now, I'm in awe of this crazy world I've created here!

The New Government is incompetent, and David and Co. have frustrated them at every turn. It's a wonder they've stayed in power this long. But most politicans find a way to stay on top (just look at our last president LOL), but their weaknesses are about to bring them down, and bring them down hard. I'm actually looking forward to writing that!

So stay tuned...

Disturbed1forEternity

Disturbed1forEternity
God of the Mind
I can't wait. YAY! More to come!!

GuiltyPleasures

GuiltyPleasures
Global Moderator
Revenge, Part 10--

Morbus knocked on the door with his special knock, and Julia let him in.

"Julia," he began, "I didn't see anyone outside, but someone was definitely there. I saw places where someone could have hidden. Based on the damage to the foliage outside, that someone was male, about David's height, and weighed around 160."

"My feelers went up when I saw something odd outside," Julia said.

"Your what?!"

"My feelers, you know, like what insects have?"

"I've never heard it put that way before," Morbus laughed softly so he wouldn't wake the twins. "I just call it a gut feeling."

"It's kind of like Jere's sixth sense," Julia said.

"Jeremiah is pretty perceptive that way," Morbus said. Then, "When are David and your mother due back?"

"In the morning sometime," said Julia. "When Mom called yesterday, she said she wanted to have a welcome home get together for Danica and Sandrina. I told her I'd discuss it with Nik and Joe. And Jeremiah's due home soon, too."

"It's nice to have new babies," Morbus said. "And doubly nice that the two newest additions came on the same day."

"Yeah, it is," Julia said; "But you know that Joe and Tracy are going back to Kittery when Danica is two months old. Joe is anxious to get back to work, and he wants to go to school, too."

"Good for him," Morbus said. "Education might make him more valuable to his new father in law."

At that moment, Kimber was in the kitchen calling for Julia.

"What are you doing awake?" Julia asked. "It's way past your bed time."

"Want a glass of water, Joolz."

"Okay," Julia said, getting one of the small cups the girls used for juice and filling it halfway with water. She handed it to her sister and she drank from it until all the water was gone. "Time to go back to bed."

"Who you talking to, Joolz?" asked Kimber as Julia walked back with her to the bedroom she shared with her sister.

"Morbus came over to check on us," Julia said.

"Oh, okay," said Kimber, sleepily.

Kimber got back into her bed, and Julia tucked her in. "Good night, Kimber," said Julia.

"Night, Joolz. I love you."

"Love you too."

Julia walked back out to the living room, surprised that Morbus was still sitting there in what Jordan called "David's chair."

"I thought you might have left," Julia said.

"I will now," Morbus said. "I wanted to wait until the little one was back in bed."

"We're all fine," Julia said, "and Ryan will be back in the morning to help with breakfast."

"That's good," Morbus said as he turned to leave. Thenm turning back around, he said,

"Julia, don't get any wild ideas about having babies of your own just yet, okay?"

"Oh?" teased Julia, "Does the idea of being grandpa Morbus scare you?"

"No, Julia," Morbus said. "You're still a bit young to be tied down like that at sixteen or seventeen."

"I'm not ready for that yet, anyway," said Julia. "I still have a lot of other stuff to do first."

She saw Morbus heave a sigh of relief. "I'm sure your mother doesn't want to be a grandmother any time soon."

"No, she doesn't. She says she's too young to be a grandma."

"I agree," Morbus said. "Good night, Julia."

"Good night, Morbus."

----------

"Are you ready to take your litle sister home, Matthias?" a nurse asked Matty as his parents were preparing their daughter for the trip home.

"Ya. Sandwina gonna come home forever!" Matty said happily.

"She's gotten really big now, hasn't she?"

"But she's still little."

"Yes," said the nurse. "She won't be as big as you for a while."

"Mama says I have to be gentle with her," Matty said. "Until she's big enuf to play wif."

"That's right. And I'm sure you're going to be a good big brother."

"I am!" Matty said as Nik and KateLynn brought Sandrina out in her car carrier. He ran to them and said, "Lemme see! Lemme see!"

Nik put the car carrier on a chair and let Matty take a look at Sandrina.

The baby was sleeping, but it looked like she would wake up at any moment.

"Is all she does is sleep, Daddy?" asked Matty.

"New babies sleep a lot," Nik told his son. "You did, too."

"Now he never does," laughed KateLynn. "He runs around like the Energizer Bunny!" she said to the nurse.

"Can we take Sandwina home now?" asked Matty.

"Yes, Matthias," KateLynn said. She and Nik thanked the nursing staff for everything they had done for the baby, then they were on their way home.

Just in time for Christmas.

----------

Jeremiah pulled up to the Draiman house later that morning. He had no idea where he was going to stay for the month he had off from classes. The room he stayed in over the summer at Nik and KateLynn's was to be occupied by their new daughter.

David and Jordan had just returned from their retreat on the lake, and had been home all of half an hour when Jeremiah knocked on the door.

Julia answered and exclaimed, "Jere! You're home!" and gave him a big hug.

Soon he was inside getting hugs and handshakes from everyone.

"You gonna stay wif us?" Niki asked Jeremiah when things had calmed down.

"I don't know, Niki," he said. "If it's okay with your mommy and daddy, then I will."

"Yay!" Niki and Kimber said together, jumping up and down.

"Of course he's staying here," David said. "We insist upon it, right, Jordan?"

"Oh heck, yeah," Jordan said, careful to watch her language in front of her daughters. "We have lots of beds here, Jere. Just pick one!"

"That's so kind of you," Jeremiah said. "I wasn't sure where I'd be staying. Joe and Tracy only have two bedrooms, and Nik and KateLynn will be busy with their little girl."

"We have a room," Ryan said. "But there's no bed in it."

"Too late," David said; "We asked him first!"

Jere went out to the car to get his bags, and noticed something odd. He felt that sixth sense rise up in him. He opened the door of his car and got the pistol he kept under the driver's seat. It's broad daylight, he thought, who would be stupid enough to stalk the house during the day?

He then saw a figure run for the woods, and Jeremiah gave chase. Julia saw him run at top speed past the living room windows, and told her mother, "Jere's chasing someone! I'm going to help!"

Before anyone could object, Julia grabbed one of her rifles and ran out the back door into the woods in the same direction. David handed Ryan a gun, told Jordan to get the girls to the panic room, then ran out the door with Ryan to assist Julia.

----------

Jeremiah saw the figure running up ahead of him. He sized up his opponent in his head: male; five-foot-eight or nine; stocky build. Possibly armed with a pistol or rifle.

When he was within fifty feet of the person he was chasing, Jeremiah aimed his gun at the fleeing figure. He shot into the air just over the person's head.

Jeremiah knew there was a highway on the other side of the woods, and that's where the figure seemed to be going. Jeremiah decided that if this person, whoever the hell he was, crossed the highway, he'd stop chasing. That was one thing Peter always insisted upon: do not dicharge your weapon in a populated area unless left with no choice. The highway would be filled with travellers heading to and from holiday celebrations. He'd rather let the person get away than put unarmed citizens in harm's way.

He could see the cars on the highway up ahead, and saw his opponent slow down slightly to negotiate the best way to cross. Just then, the figure turned around and fired at Jeremiah.

Jeremiah felt something hot on his thigh, and realized he'd been shot. But still full of adrenaline, he kept up the chase to the edge of the woods. The figure crossed the highway between cars, and Jeremiah collapsed to the ground.

"Jesus fucking Christ!" he muttered under his breath, "I've been shot!"

----------

Julia saw Jeremiah hit the ground, and knew instictively that he'd taken a bullet.

She knew that David and Ryan were behind her, so she kept up her pace until she reached her brother at the edge of the woods, holding his right leg. Julia knew that the person who shot Jeremiah was left handed, and filed that information away for future reference.

"Jere," Julia said as she reached him. "You've been shot."

"I know that, Julia," Jeremiah said. "The guy's a southpaw."

Just then, David and Ryan reached Julia and Jeremiah. "We need medical assistance, David," Julia said.

"I'm on it!" David said, pulling out his phone and calling for an ambulance.

"God this fucking hurts!" Jeremiah said. "I've never taken a bullet before, but I knew what it must feel like as soon as I felt it burn."

"Calm down, Jeremiah," Ryan said. "Your blood pressure's going to go up."

"Jules must have you working out with her," Jeremiah said. "You were keeping up with David pretty well."

"She's a tough taskmaster, I'll tell you!" Ryan exclaimed. "But it paid off."

"Ambulance is here," Julia said. "Jere, this isn't how we wanted to welcome you home, brother."

"I know, Jules," Jeremiah said. "Merry fuckin' Christmas to me!"

----------

Disturbed1forEternity

Disturbed1forEternity
God of the Mind
OH SHIT!!! JERE'S BEEN SHOT!!!!! FUCKIN' A!!!

Yumiyuri

Yumiyuri
Immortalized
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

GuiltyPleasures

GuiltyPleasures
Global Moderator
Revenge, Part 11--

After Jeremiah was taken to the Disturbed Ones operated hospital on the compound, Julia, Ryan and David headed back to the house.

David knocked on the panic room door to let Jordan know that she and the girls could come out. The twins shot out of the room like bullets from a gun, headed towards Julia and Ryan.

"Where Jere?" Niki asked when she didn't see him in the living room with Julia and Ryan.

"Jere got hurt and went to the doctor," Julia said. "He'll be back soon." To herself, she said, I hope.

"What was going on outside?" asked Jordan. "Where is Jeremiah?"

"There's someone stalking the house," David said. "Jere saw them and gave chase."

"That's when the rest of you left," Jordan said. "What happened to Jere?"

"The person who's been staking out the house shot him in the leg," David said. "The bullet is deep in a muscle, so no major blood vessels were damaged. He'll probably need surgery to remove it."

"Well that sucks, David," Jordan said. "And right before Christmas no less. He'll probably wish he'd stayed at school."

"Jordan," David said; "Jeremiah knew what was at stake when he took off after the guy. He's too well trained to not know that. He's been training with the Security Forces sniper unit while at school, and together with what he was taught by Peter San Marco, he's probably one of the best trained snipers around."

"Just like Julia, Nik and Joe," Jordan said. "I'd hate to meet any of them in a dark alley on a moonless night!"

David laughed. "Me, too. I'm glad they're on our side. Morbus will have plenty of successors to choose from if and when he decides to retire."

"Morbus is thinking of giving up being your bodyguard?" Jordan asked, shocked.

"He told me that he's slowing down, and that the assassin work really needs a younger trigger finger. I think that if he was just my bodyguard, and not go out on missions, that I could keep him around longer. But the decision is his, of course."

"Of course," Jordan agreed. "I just don't see him as old though."

"He's, what, forty-two? And with all he's been through, that could have aged him more than we ourselves have aged," said David.

"You're not old either, David."

"I don't look it probably, but sometimes, I do feel it!" laughed David.

----------

Jeremiah woke up from a strange slumber. He looked around and saw where he was- the recovery room at the Disturbed Ones hospital. God, I haven't been here since I had my appendectomy when I was fourteen! he thought. I must've been hurt worse than I thought.

"Hello?" Jeremiah called out.

A nurse looked over and noticed that the patient was awake. She came over and said,

"It's good to see you awake, Mr. Donovan. Do you know why you're here?"

"I got shot. But how bad was it?"

"The doctor will be around to see you shortly," the nurse said. "He's in surgery now."

"Wow, this place is rockin', isn't it?" Jeremiah chuckled. The nurse said nothing and walked away. Killjoy, he thought.

Soon the doctor was there, and explained what happened to Jeremiah, to which he thought, tell me something I don't already fuckin' know, doc.

"The bullet came out easily, we stitched everything up, and here you are. You'll be on crutches for about a month to six weeks. We'll send you home in time for Christmas," the doctor said.

"Thanks," was all that Jeremiah said. With that, the doctor left, and an orderly and a nurse came to take him to his room.

Once in his room, Jeremiah got as comfortable as his injury allowed, flipped on the TV, and surfed the channels. He settled on a documentary about the days leading up to the takeover by the illegal government, then a nurse came in to see how he was doing, and to take his vitals.

After she was done, she asked if he had any questions.

"I do actually," Jeremiah said. "Is Jasmine Cantrell still a nurse here?"

"She is," the nurse said. "She'll be in tomorrow morning around six."

"Okay," Jeremiah said. "She's a friend of mine."

"I'll tell her you're here, then."

"Thanks." And the nurse took her leave.

Jeremiah got bored with the documentary and started surfing channels again. He ended up settling on a music channel that showed old music videos from various bands whose music had been banned by the illegitimate government, including those by Disturbed. He had seen the band perform at various rallies, but never on a concert tour. But before any of those videos came on, he was fast asleep.

----------

The man who shot Jeremiah was back at the Draiman house by nightfall. He chided himself for being discovered by one of Draiman's former wards, but had to shoot him to escape. He knew that all of Draiman's wards, and his stepdaughter were highly trained snipers, and so when Jeremiah fired off that warning shot, he felt justified in shooting him. He knew that the injury Jeremiah suffered wasn't life threatening, but it allowed him to get away and regroup.

There was holiday stuff going on inside the house. The family decorated a Christmas tree and lighted the first candle on the menorah for the first night of Hanukkah. He wondered how they could celebrate both holidays at the same time. Judiaism was outlawed by the New Government, as was Catholicism. He kind of envied the Draimans for staying true to who they are, instead of conforming to the precepts of the New Government.

He thought the little girls were cute, though. He noticed that they were not identical twins, but looked a lot alike. He thought he could see both Draiman and his wife, Jordan, in each of the girls.

It's too bad I have to deny them their father, he thought. I know what growing up without a father was like. Maybe that's why I'm such a loser now.

He felt himself start to waver on whether he should continue the assignment he'd been given, then he snapped back to reality. His assignment was to kill David Draiman. Period.

But he sure wished he had a family like Draiman's growing up.

----------

It was five-thirty in the morning, and Jasmine Cantrell reported to the nurses station on the second floor. There, the head night shift nurse gave the run down on what had transpired the night before.

"We have a new patient in 226. Gunshot wound, right thigh. He can go home on the twenty-fourth. Name's Donovan. Jeremiah Donovan. He's one of David Draiman's former wards. Age, nineteen. Height, seventy-five inches. Weight, one ninety-five.

"Mr. Grayson in 218, had a bad night. Increased his pain meds..."

Jasmine stopped listening at that point. Jeremiah was shot? she thought.

She hadn't seen him since the previous summer. They had dated during the time Jeremiah was home from school. She liked him a lot. They emailed and texted each other after he went back to campus, but she never got to answer his last email because she was either working, or going to classes herself. She was sure that he'd found someone else. But, she never forgot his smile and the way he made her laugh. Nor did she forget the first and only time they made love. She hadn't felt that good or that loved before or since.

But now, he slept in a room on her floor, so maybe she could have another chance to tell him she never forgot him. Life just got too busy.

After the head nurse was done giving out the assignments for the shift, Jasmine was thrilled that Jeremiah's room was on her side of the floor today.

She worked the rooms in numerical order, checking vitals, IV bags, and prepping them (since most were still sleeping) for rounds at 8am. When she got to Jeremiah's room, she did all those same things, but before going on to the next room, she took a moment to study him.

You're so beautiful when you sleep, Jere, she thought. She noticed the beginnings of a goatee in addition to the soul patch she remembered. His hair was still unruly; his arms, muscled and strong. She felt safe in those arms once. Maybe, if you're not involved with someone else, you'll hold me again in your arms, Jere, she said to him in her thoughts.

She had to go on to the next room. I'll be back, Jeremiah, she thought. I promise.

----------

Disturbed1forEternity

Disturbed1forEternity
God of the Mind
That's cute.

David can't be OLD! What? No, I don't believe it... I refuse... lol

GuiltyPleasures

GuiltyPleasures
Global Moderator
I'd love to be 37 again LOL

Maybe I'd have a shot at him (yeah, right!)

Disturbed1forEternity

Disturbed1forEternity
God of the Mind
Like I have any more of a shot. I'm only 23. Who do you think he'd go for? The older woman.... lol Dancing David lol!

GuiltyPleasures

GuiltyPleasures
Global Moderator
Rally, Part 1--

Jeremiah woke up on his own around 8am, to be greeted by the doctor making rounds and a small group of medical students. Oh, hell no, he thought, just say hello and go away.

"You look as though you don't want us here, Mr. Donovan," the doctor said pleasantly.

"This is what you all need to know. I got shot, had surgery, I'll be gone by Christmas," Jeremiah said testily. "Now go away please?"

The group soon left and Jeremiah was alone. But not for long, because Julia, Ryan, Nik and Joe came to see him.

"So this is what you're doing instead of getting acquainted with your nieces, huh?" Joe said playfully. "I see how you are, brother."

"How are your new daughters, by the way?" Jeremiah said to Joe and Nik. "I can't wait to meet them, but it will have to wait until they spring me from this hellhole. Nik, is Sandrina bigger than some of Julia's doll babies yet?"

Nik laughed; "Sandrina is growing and is almost as big as that one doll Julia had...what was her name, Jules, 'Toya'?"

"Just 'Toy', thanks," Julia said, embarrassed. "I was two, give me a break!"

"This must have been before Joe and I got there," Jeremiah said. "Because I don't remember that one. The one I remember was 'Brownie'. And she was ug-ly!"

"Kiera gave me that doll when I was three, thanks!" Julia said. "It was a Native American doll she'd had since she and Peter got married, hoping to give it to a little girl one day. That little girl just happened to be me!"

"You have to admit, Jules," Joe said; "That doll was not cute."

Julia stuck out her tongue. "So what! She was mine and I loved her."

Ryan had not said anything beyond hello, and stood there looking amused as Julia was getting ribbed by her brothers.

"What about Danica, Joe?" Jeremiah now said; "How she doing since those pictures you emailed me after she was born?"

"She's outgrown all the newborn stuff we got for her already," Joe said. "Nik, is Sandrina ready for some hand-me-downs?"

"Newborn stuff is still a little too big," Nik said, "but we'll take them if Tracy will part with it. I know how all that first baby stuff works now. KateLynn still has all of Matty's newborn stuff!"

"Tell her to hold on to it," Julia said. "Mom says she and David are going to talk to surrogates after the New Year about having a brother for the twins."

"Cool!" Jeremiah said. "There needs to be more boys in this family! We're going to be outnumbered soon!"

"Both babies are adorable, Jere," Ryan said. "As an interested third party, you understand. You'll fall in love with them!"

"I'm sure I will, but now, I feel like a nap," Jeremiah said, trying to stifle a yawn.

"We just got here!" Julia said, laughing.

"He just had major surgery, Jules," Nik said. "KateLynn didn't think we should come over and bug you so soon."

"She's a nursing student still, isn't she?" Jeremiah asked.

"She wants to go back soon," Nik said. "She's afraid she'll forget everything she learned so far."

"She's a natural at it, I'm sure she remembers more than she gives herself credit for," Jeremiah said. "But now, I need some sleep. I need to be rested if I'm going to survive Christmas at the Draimans! Those girls are too much!"

His siblings and Ryan took their leave, and Jeremiah was alone again. He fell asleep for what seemed like two seconds when someone was shaking him awake.

"Time for your meds, Mr. Donovan," a familiar voice said. Soft, sweet, and constantly in his head for months.

"Aw come on, can't a guy get some sleep here?" Jeremiah asked as he tried to pry his eyes open. Once he did, he saw the most beautiful brown eyes and the most beautiful face he'd ever laid eyes on.

"Good morning, Jere," Jasmine said. "Christmas came early for me."

"Jasmine!" Jeremiah said as he reached out to hug her. She returned his hug and kissed him on the cheek.

"You need to take these, Jere," said Jasmine, handing him his meds. Jeremiah did what he was told, then said,

"How did Christmas come early for you?"

"I knew when abouts you'd be home, and I was thinking of looking you up," Jasmine said. "Then, you land on my floor."

"It wasn't planned, I assure you," Jeremiah said. "I was going to call you when I got settled at the Draimans, but I never got a chance to even get my stuff out of the car!"

"I have so much I want to tell you," Jasmine said. "But I have to get back to work. I get off work at three. Could I come back and see you then?"

"Hell yeah!" Jeremiah said. "We need to catch up. I'm sorry I didn't keep in touch better."

"Me, too," Jasmine said. "Life got in the way."

"You'll be back at three, then?" asked Jeremiah.

"Yes, after my shift is over," Jasmine said. "I promise."

"I'll look forward to seeing you," Jeremiah said.

Jasmine said her goodbyes and went to complete her rounds. Jeremiah watched her walk away. Damn, he thought. It'd be my own damn fault if some other guy's snapped her up. How could I let her get away?

He laid back on the bed and contemplated that for a while.

----------

David was back at his office on the compound. He'd told the others about his and Jordan's "adventurous retreat" on the lake, someone staking out his house, and Jeremiah getting shot.

"So you didn't get much relaxing done, did you?" John asked.

"Oh we managed here and there, between two people trying to kill us and all the stuff that went on after we got home," David said.

"Sounds like one of Mikey's video games," Dan said. "Go on vacation, and prove you deserve to come back alive!" Everyone but Mike laughed.

"My video games aren't that dumb," he said. "But what happened to you, and to Jeremiah, isn't funny."

"No it isn't," David said. "Danny, can you find anything on anyone trying their damndest to get me killed?"

"I'll look into it, but you know it's probably the Committee and one of their ingenious plans," Dan said.

"I don't know how they stay in power," John said. "Their policies, their ideology, their leadership are so misguided. I guess stupid is as stupid does."

"Just look at the last legally elected President for that," Dan said. "Corruption and dead bodies followed him around. Then there was that intern thing..."

"When we win this damn war," David said. "Don't offer me the job as president. I don't want it. I have enough stress with dealing with little girls who will be two on their next birthday. The terrible twos started early for them."

"I think I'd take my chances with the two year olds myself," John said. "Let some politically minded person take the job."

"Just look at the current occupant of the White House," David said. "Sarah Kathryn Hope still had dark hair when she was installed, now it's almost pure white. The stress of that job is something I don't need. Jordan would kill me if I even considered it. And I love my wife more than I want to be President of the United States. You think I get death threats now..."

"Point taken," Dan said. "Let me go find some intel for you to contemplate on when you light the menorah this evening."

"Thanks, Danny," David laughed. "And if I don't like what I read, I'll use the candles to burn the motherfucker up!"

----------

The two new additions, and their parents, and Matty, were at the Draiman's house. Julia and Ryan were there as well. Jordan was having a dilemma. What were the offspring of her former wards going to call her and David? Matty had been calling them "Miss Jordan" and "Mr. David", and she really didn't mind all that much, but it was kind of weird to her that her own grandchildren (when Julia got around to having children of her own, which Jordan hoped would not be for a while yet) would call her Miss Jordan.

She decided to wait and ask David about it later.

Meanwhile, both babies were awake, and Sandrina was fussy. She was still considerably smaller than Danica, but KateLynn had faith that Sandrina would catch up eventually.

"Sandrina doesn't like this tube up her nose," KateLynn said, "but it helps her breathe until her lungs catch up in the growth department. The baby nurse changes it every other day. She'll change it tomorrow and the 26th, so I don't have to worry about it during Christmas."

Jordan was taken with Danica's big blue eyes. They seemed to work with her light caramel coloring. And they were always fixed on one of her parents. She still found it hard to believe that Joe, still three months from his eighteenth birthday, was a father. But he was good with his daughter, and Tracy adored him.

Jordan asked Joe how Jeremiah was when they visited him in the hospital that morning.

"He was pretty testy," Joe said. "Like he woke up before he wanted to."

"He hates inaction, especially his own," Nik said. "He's always been that way. I remember he broke his leg when he was nine, so he couldn't go out with the rest of us to learn to shoot. He was just like he was this morning. Perpetually pissed off."

"I think he's going to be more pissed off about the eight inch scar from his surgery," Julia said. "I think it should be a badge of honor to have it."

"You'll think differently when it's you, Julia," Jordan said. "Then I'll freak out."

"You and me both, Jordan," Ryan said, laughing.

"Oh, hush," Julia said.

----------

Three o'clock couldn't get there soon enough to suit Jeremiah.

He tried to distract himself with the television, but was on that interested him; he then asked a nurse for some magazines, and got celebrity and gossip magazines; then he tried to draw on a pad of paper he found in a drawer, and not even that helped. All he could think about was seeing Jasmine.

He remembered the party where they met. Julia and Ryan had dragged him along one night shortly after Joe went to the Elochai Center to get off the drugs he was being programmed with by the Illegals. "You need to get out of here and stop worrying about Joe, Jere," Julia had said. Jeremiah went reluctantly, determined to not have a good time. Instead, he met Jasmine.

It was her house that she shared with three co-workers who had gotten their LPNs about the same time. One of the roommates was a mutual friend of Ryan's, and that's how he, Julia and Jeremiah got invited. Jeremiah saw this coffee and cream colored beauty across the room and went to talk to her. They hit it off pretty well and Jeremiah asked her for a date. She accepted, and they spent the whole summer dating.

When it came time for Jeremiah to head back to Northwestern at the end of July, they promised to keep in touch. They did for a while, but Jeremiah's studies, and Jasmine's job at the hospital got in the way and soon lost touch. Jeremiah dated another girl at school, but soon broke it off because she just wasn't his type. The girl still texted him. He never answered, but she kept it up.

Now, fate had brought them back together. He only hoped that she wasn't seeing someone else. He wanted another chance to win her.

----------

Jasmine did something she almost never did: watched the clock. She couldn't wait until her shift was over so she could go back to Jeremiah's room and visit.

She couldn't get him off her mind. That first night they met at that crazy party she really didn't want to host. She hid in the kitchen, occasionally leaving to refresh the sandwich tray or put more beverages in the coolers. One of those times, she saw a mixed race man across the room making his way in her direction. When he reached her, he said hello. "I'm Jeremiah," he had said.

"Jasmine is my name."

"Is this your house?" he asked

"Yes, it's my parents actually, but they're letting me live here while they live in Oklahoma," she had said.

"Wild party," Jeremiah said.

"A little wilder than I thought it would be," Jasmine said. "I can't wait for it to be over and all these people go the hell home! I don't know most of them."

"You know me," Jeremiah said.

"Yeah, for all of five minutes!" Jasmine thought that sounded rude and apologized.

"No problem," Jeremiah said. "I didn't want to come, but my sister and her boyfriend insisted."

"Who's your sister?"

Jeremiah had pointed out Julia to her, and Jasmine said, "Jordan Terranova's daughter is your sister?!"

"She, my brother Joe, another kid, Nik, and I were all raised together," Jeremiah said. "We considered ourselves siblings. Joe is my only biological brother."

"Oh, okay," Jasmine said. "I was going to say you have a freaky family tree!"

They had kept talking throughout the entire evening, then Jeremiah asked her out. She was going to say no, but she'd taken a liking to this kid who didn't want to be at a party she didn't want to host.

Now, though, Jasmine watched the minutes until three tick away. She had finished her duties for the day and was itching to clock out. As soon as the clock struck three, she swiped her badge under the sensor and went to the locker room to change out of her uniform. Once in regular clothes, she headed over to Jeremiah's room.

----------

Disturbed1forEternity

Disturbed1forEternity
God of the Mind
That's too cute!!!

GuiltyPleasures

GuiltyPleasures
Global Moderator
It's going to get even more cute in the next part. And I'll throw some drama in there, too...

Disturbed1forEternity

Disturbed1forEternity
God of the Mind
It's going to get cuter? What? Is that possible?

I'm looking forward to it.

GuiltyPleasures

GuiltyPleasures
Global Moderator
Rally, Part 2--

When Dan said to David he wasn't going to like what Dan had to tell him, David's curiousity was piqued. What is it that's going to be so bad, David thought.

"Okay, here's your intel," Dan said; "It's not the Committee who has been sending out people to eliminate you."

"It's not?" asked David. "Then who is?"

"Just Jed McClayne," Dan said. "He got impatient one day after all the other attempts on your life failed and contracted assassins on his own. The Committee, no doubt, was pissed off."

"Jed McClayne is the Puppetmaster," David said. "He tells everyone from the President on down what to do."

"Speaking of the President," said Dan; "Word is that she's depressed about something, possibly that her husband checked himself in rehab for some reason. It's going to be a lonely Christmas at the White House living quarters."

"Her son and his family aren't coming to visit?" David asked.

"Nope," Dan said. "They're spending the holidays with his wife's family instead."

"Better than being around his depressed mother," David said. "I know I wouldn't want to be around 'Debbie Downer' either if it were me."

"Have you ever met Jordan's family, David?"

"No," David said. "Her father disowned her when she got involved with Julia's father. Even her beloved brothers turned their backs on their baby sister."

"That's cold," Dan said. "After all this time, you'd think that there'd be some sort of agreement to disagree."

"Jordan tried to contact her brother, Matt, last Christmas," David said. "He's the youngest of the four older brothers; All she was able to get from him was that their oldest brother died of cancer about five years ago, both their parents were gone, and that Matt's wife doesn't know that Jordan even exists. Needless to say, Jordan was pretty upset about what she found out. Matt was the one she was closest to. It kills her to hear Nik and KateLynn refer to their son as 'Matty', because that was her brother's nickname."

"Man, David, I'm so sorry to hear that," Dan said. "I had no idea Jordan's family was so fractured."

"That's why she tries to put together all these family functions," David said. "Family has always been important to her, but even more so since her family has esentially denied her existence."

"She always has family in us, David, just as you do," said Dan.

"Thanks, brother," David said. "It means a lot to me that you guys care about her."

"Why wouldn't we?" asked Dan. "She snagged the most eligible bachelor on the planet. We thought you'd never find the right girl, and she was right in front of us all along."

"Indeed she was," David said.

----------

Jasmine tried to be cool about walking over to Jeremiah's room, but she felt like she was failing miserably at it. C'mon, girl, snap out of it! she chided herself. He's probably got a girlfriend waiting on him at school. What makes you so damn special?

She arrived at his room, where a nurse friend of hers was putting up additional IV bags. "Oh, hey, Jas," she said. "He's sleeping. I know he's a friend of yours, but he's been really testy today."

"I suppose that being in the hospital is much fun when you'd only been home a few hours prior," Jasmine said.

"Yeah, I heard about that."

The nurse left and Jasmine was alone with Jeremiah. "Hey, sleepyhead," she said softly, poking him; "Wake up! It's three o'clock!"

Damn, I fell asleep?! Jeremiah thought to himself as he opened his eyes. There sat Jasmine on the edge of his bed. "Hey, there," he said. "Sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep."

"You're in the hospital, and there isn't much to do here as a patient but sleep," Jasmine said.

"True that," Jeremiah said. "So, Nurse Cantrell, shall we play catch up?"

"I'd like that, Jere," Jasmine said. "I've missed you."

"I've missed you as well, Jasmine," Jeremiah said. "I wouldn't mind waking up to you poking me more often. I'd never get tired of seeing your face!"

Jasmine blushed. "You've always had a knack at saying things like that!"

"I wouldn't, though," Jeremiah said. "But there's something I have to know."

Jasmine felt herself stiffen, then relax. "What is it?"

"It'd be my own damn fault if you said yes, but are you seeing anyone currently?"

"No," Jasmine said. "I haven't dated since you went back to school. I was going to ask you the same thing."

"I'm not either," Jeremiah said. "There was one girl, but she wasn't anything special. I ended it after a few dates."

"Why?"

"Because there was this girl," Jeremiah said; "This cute girl who works as a nurse. I couldn't get her out of my mind. But I was a terrible correspondant and didn't keep my end of the promise to keep in touch."

"Oh," said Jasmine. "And this girl, she didn't write back, either, did she?"

"No," Jeremiah said. "She got busy with working, and I got busy with school, and we lost touch. Until this morning, when she magically appeared at my bedside with some pills to take."

"My early Christmas present," Jasmine said. "To have the handsome Jeremiah Donovan as a patient on my floor."

"My early gift was to have the beautiful Jasmine Cantrell as my nurse," said Jeremiah. "Jasmine, I'd like another chance to win your heart, if you think I'm worthy of it."

"You've already won my heart, Jere," Jasmine said. "Back at that party where you came and introduced yourself." She leaned over and kissed Jeremiah. He responded. Their kissed deepened, then Jeremiah grimmaced when he tightened the muscles in his thigh. "Oww! That hurts!" he said.

"Well be careful, Jere," Jasmine said. "You aren't Superman you know."

Jeremiah winked. "I could be...once this heals."

"Always the confident one, aren't you?"

"Can't help it," Jeremiah said. "I was raised in a positive environment where all of our strengths were emphasized."

"That's what I like about you, Jere," Jasmine said. "You stand up for what you believe in, and know you can accomplish anything you put your mind to."

"Can we pick up where we left off last summer?" asked Jeremiah.

"Yes," Jasmine said as he kissed her again.

----------

He only wanted one thing for Christmas this year: to take Marysa away from her life as a high priced whore.

For the first time since his wife died a decade earlier, Josiah Enoch Daniel McClayne was in love. With a woman not much younger than his own daughter. And, what amazed him was... she was in love with him, too.

Their relationship was built on mutual trust and respect. Marysa told him she felt safe with him. But it was the breaking away from "the life" that was a stumbling block.

"You don't need to sell yourself anymore, Marysa. I can take care of you," McClayne had told her.

"You wrote the laws that keep people like me from having any other jobs in this town," Marysa said.

"I was wrong." And he confessed to her that all he wanted was power. He wanted to be President, but Sarah Kathryn had beaten him in almost all of the major primary states. So he agreed to be her Vice President. Then the bitch replaced him with someone else. Since she wasn't a politician, he knew she needed guidence, and that's how the Committee came into existance.

When Sarah Kathryn lost the election to a more experienced and seasoned opponent, McClayne and the Committee hatched a plan to assassinate the winner and take over the government, installing Sarah Kathryn Hope as President for Life. The name change to "The Republic of America" and turning the states into regions was his idea, too.

Then, his wife died six years into the New Government, and that was the first time McClayne questioned his commitment to it. Then, in an attempt to forget his pain, he threw himself into his work. The only thing he wasn't able to accomplish was eliminating David Draiman, his government's main opponent.

But, the power hungry McClayne could be tamed. One night, he was looking for a bitch to fuck, and ran across a beautiful mixed race Southern belle named Marysa. He took her to his home and she serviced him. He paid her more than she asked, only because he was so grateful she saw him as more than a dick with money. She gave him her private number, and all of their trysts after that were when he called her. Sometimes he called every week, then she wouldn't hear from him for months.

Until a few weeks ago, she'd been spending more and more time with him. She saw the tortured man he'd become, and knew that if allowed, the Southern gentleman he really was would show himself instead. And he did, but just for her.

"You wrote the laws that make relationships like ours illegal," Marysa told him. "How could you break your own laws, Jed?"

"Because I'm a narrow minded and bigotted fool, Marysa," he'd told her. "I don't want to be that fool anymore. I just want to be happy. What I do doesn't make me happy. It's turned me into someone I wasn't raised to be. Mama and Daddy taught us to have respect for everyone, and I haven't been doing that."

"How do I know you're just not saying that?" asked Marysa. "How do I know you're not going to have me arrested and thrown into one of those prisons where women are treated like shit?"

"Marysa, my dear," McClayne said. "I want to retire, go back to my hometown, and be forgotten by all the people here in the Capitol. And I want to take you with me. Because you make me happy. I couldn't hurt you if I wanted to. You've been too patient with an old coot like me."

"I like being with you, too, Jed," Marysa said; "But I don't know how this relationship thing is going to work. We couldn't be seen together. We couldn't get married. There are a lot of things we can't do because of the laws you helped write."

Marysa began to cry, and McClayne knew it was because of him, his damn laws, his damn addiction to power. He finally saw the light and he wanted out. He would do anything to make Marysa happy. If that meant defecting from the government he helped create, he'd do it.

He just didn't know how.

----------

Disturbed1forEternity

Disturbed1forEternity
God of the Mind
Oh, shit. McClayne's gonna defect? Maybe? Maybe he'll stop trying to kill David at the same time.

GuiltyPleasures

GuiltyPleasures
Global Moderator
Rally, Part 3--

"I'm done."

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me," Marysa said. "I'm done."

"So you're not going out on any 'dates'?" Illya said.

"No. I'm going back home to Mississippi and reclaim my son."

"Why the change of heart?" Illya asked.

"I'm tired," Marysa said. "I've been working for you since I hit this town at nineteen. I got married, had a child, got divorced. I'm almost thirty one years old. I think it's time I became an adult in attitude as well as in age."

"If that is what you want, Maryska," Illya said. He could never say "Marysa" without the added letter K; "I will not stand in your way. There are younger girls who take your place."

"That was too easy, Illya, and you know it," Marysa said. "You're not going to threaten me like I've heard you do to some of the others who have left?"

"Why? Like you, Maryska, I have gotten older," Illya said. "I have a child, too, and pretty wife. I may give this up soon to a younger man. You have served me well, my dear. Go on, leave, before I change my mind."

Marysa left after that. A younger man came into Illya's office. He asked,

"Boss, should I kill her?"

"No." Illya said. "Leave her alone. Don't hurt her, don't follow her, don't prevent her from living her life. They all leave eventually. There are more girls, always more girls. Maryska knew it was time for her to go. Leave her be. Because if you don't, I will kill you."

"Yes, boss."

----------

That was too easy, Marysa thought as she took the convoluted route back to Jed's house in Georgetown. I should watch my back.

She put her hood over her head to protect from the frigid temperatures. A scarf hid most of her face. She slipped into the back alley and entered the house through the kitchen. Only then could she take off her disguise.

She knew Jed wasn't home. He was always working on something. But she called after him anyway.

There was no answer, so she made her way upstairs to the bedrooms. She was always wary of people being in places they shouldn't be. For that reason, she always kept a small calibur handgun in her purse.

She had moved out of the apartment that Illya provided her after Jed asked her to move into this place with him. This palace of a home she always felt like a stranger in. No one was supposed to know she was here. Those who had noticed her assumed she was the domestic help. What else could a quadroon girl from Mississippi be in this town besides a call girl?

She certainly couldn't be the mistress of a high ranking government official, that's for damn sure.

But that's what she was.

----------

McClayne received a report from one of the assassins stalking David Draiman and his family. He knew what the report contained: a moment by moment account of the goings on at their home, and at his office on the compound.

He read the report anyway. He was surprised with how personal it was. The stalker notated that Draiman and his wife celebrated both Christian and Jewish holidays, that their daughters were not identical twins and were cute little girls.

But it was this passage that got McClayne:

"The Draiman's are not afraid of showing affection to each other and to their children. This evening, Draiman taught his daughters a game with a top with Hebrew markings on it. Mrs. Draiman was putting the finishing touches on their Christmas tree.

"They are confident enough to be who they are, and not hide their beliefs. They are passing this legacy to their young daughters. I almost can't bring myself to take their father away from them. I know what growing up without a father is like. I envy this family, because they're the kind of family I wish I had growing up."

Usually, McClayne would have seen this as a sign of weakness, but he knew exactly where this young man was coming from. The Draimans loved each other despite their religious differences. They made their relationship work.

Lord, I am weak, McClayne prayed. Please give me the strength to do what is right. I know I am a sinner, and I beg Your forgiveness.

He then picked up the phone and called off the hit on Draiman.

----------

"You're never going to get to go home, Jere, if you don't learn to use those crutches!" Jasmine said. "You have to keep off that right leg until the doctor says it's healed enough to put weight on it."

"But, Jas, I'm notoriously right handed," Jeremiah complained playfully.

"Do it again, Mr. Donovan," Jasmine said.

"Yes, Nurse Cantrell," sighed Jeremiah.

Jeremiah used the crutches flawlessly going across the floor in his room. Jasmine seemed pleased.

"Now let's go out to the hall," Jasmine said. "Do one lap around the nurse's station."

Jeremiah manuvered to the hallway, and with Jasmine behind him, made one lap around the nurse's station.

"Looks like someone really wants to go home tomorrow," said Berta, the head day nurse. "Miss Cantrell is pretty tough, isn't she?"

"Yes, ma'am, she sure is," Jeremiah said.

"Do another lap, Jeremiah," Jasmine said. "Alone."

"What?"

"You heard me. Alone."

Jeremiah sighed audibly, and started out on his solo trip around the nurse's station.

"This is the boy you dated last summer, isn't it?" Berta asked.

"Yes, he is," said Jasmine.

"He's kinda sweet on you."

"I'm kinda sweet on him, too, Berta."

Jeremiah successfully made the trip around the nurse's station. "Can I rest now, mistress Jasmine? My arms are screaming at me!"

"A strong man like you, Jeremiah?" Jasmine said, smiling. "I know you can lift more than you weigh, so quit yer bitchin', or I'll send you on another lap."

"I think you just like to watch me suffer!" Jeremiah said, laughing.

"No, Jere, I want you to be able to walk without crutches one day soon," Jasmine said. "You and your badge of honor needs to get back in bed."

"Yes, ma'am..."

Once Jeremiah was resituated in bed, Jasmine came in and gave him a quick peck on the cheek, then said, "Shhhh, I'm not supposed to do that while I'm on duty."

"Oh, well then I won't tell," Jeremiah said. "When do I get a real kiss?"

"When my shift is over in two hours. Then I have the next five days off," Jasmine said.

"Can I spend part of that time alone with you?" Jeremiah asked.

"I'd like that, Jere," Jasmine said. "Now, be good, and I'll be back soon. I promise."

----------

Disturbed1forEternity

Disturbed1forEternity
God of the Mind
That's cute.

GuiltyPleasures

GuiltyPleasures
Global Moderator
Disturbed1forEternity wrote:Oh, shit. McClayne's gonna defect? Maybe? Maybe he'll stop trying to kill David at the same time.

He's already called off the hit on David, but he'll be overruled. That will force his hand to say what Marysa said at the beginning of the last part: "I'm done."

He will definitely defect. I know how he's going to do it. And it will be a surprise. It will definitely send the Committee scrambling.

Disturbed1forEternity

Disturbed1forEternity
God of the Mind
Ooh, I can't WAIT!

GuiltyPleasures

GuiltyPleasures
Global Moderator
Hey guys and gals... I'm having a crisis of conscience here.

I'm seriously considering moving the entire story over to a blog that isn't affiliated with this forum. Because of some of the themes this story contains, I'm beginning to feel that this is no longer the appropriate forum for it.

I'd like to know what you all think. Please PM with with any comments about this, because I'm thinking of moving the story on August 1st (this coming Sunday). Any feedback would be appreciated between now and then.

Thanks-- Stef

Last edited by GuiltyPleasures on Mon 26 Jul 2010, 13:55; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : :()

GuiltyPleasures

GuiltyPleasures
Global Moderator
I've moved all of the first 12 chapters to another site.

When I finish the current chapter, I'll post it in its entirety there as well.

I appreciate all the feed back I've gotten for this. If you want to see how this ends, go here. That's where the rest of the story will be.

GuiltyPleasures

GuiltyPleasures
Global Moderator
New chapter is up here. Comments are welcome.

Disturbed1forEternity

Disturbed1forEternity
God of the Mind
Just read it... too cute! I'm still loving it!

GuiltyPleasures

GuiltyPleasures
Global Moderator
Thanks... what did you think of Neil's breakdown?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 17 of 21]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum

FacebookTwitterFacebookFacebook

•  

Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com